Schedule price change to coincide with new release

I currently have an iOS app on the App Store which requires an up-front payment to buy and download.

For my upcoming release I would like to change the app to free to download but with one non-consumable IAP to fully unlock. Without the IAP the number of entries you can add is limited but otherwise the app is fully-functional, in effect working as trial/demo software. For users who previously purchased the app they will not need to purchase the IAP (which will be priced the same). From a technical perspective this is tested and working within the app using StoreKit 2 APIs.

However, as the app is currently paid, what I would like to do is make it free AND make my IAP available when I publish the next release but it's not clear to me if this is possible/will happen automatically. Within App Store Connect I can only see the ability to schedule a price change by date and not with a new release, which suggests they will happen independently of each other. Is what I am trying to achieve possible?

The only other option I have thought is to release the new version without a price change, and once it's updated on the App Store then change the pricing model to free. However, this would be less than ideal as, for a limited time, it would technically require two purchases to unlock.

If anyone has navigated this issue and has any tips/advice I'd be most grateful.