Sending Email via AppleScript & Mail.app broken

A while back I tried to send an email from my app by calling an apple script. This worked well for a while, but since Apple Mail version 16.0 my message is always sent as "citation". So, in the style as if my original message was a message I replied to.

This means that instead of having a message body saying "Hi you", the message generated by Apple Mail is "> Hi you".

Does anyone here have similar issues? I filed a bug report (FB11734014) a year ago but it is still in "Open" and I am starting to wonder if AppleScript is still officially supported/taken serious by Apple?! Is there any other, recommended way of how to easily send an email from one's app?

Thanks!

The apple script that I use:

tell application "Mail"
	set this_message to make new outgoing message at beginning of every outgoing message

set content of this_message to "This is the body of the message"

tell this_message
		make new to recipient at beginning of every to recipient ¬
			with properties {address:"test@example.com"}
	end tell
	set subject of this_message to "The subject"

send this_message
end tell

The email this generates looks like this:

--Apple-Mail=_ADD491E8-EDEC-45CB-9F44-EF266087DB84
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset=us-ascii

> This is the body of the message

--Apple-Mail=_ADD491E8-EDEC-45CB-9F44-EF266087DB84
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"></head><body style="overflow-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;"><div class="Apple-Mail-URLShareUserContentTopClass"><br></div><div class="Apple-Mail-URLShareWrapperClass" style="position: relative !important;"><blockquote type="cite" style="border-left-style: none; color: inherit; padding: inherit; margin: inherit;">

This is the body of the message

</blockquote></div></body></html>
--Apple-Mail=_ADD491E8-EDEC-45CB-9F44-EF266087DB84--
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of faax Down vote post of faax

Replies

I ran your script and the email received appeared to be normal without the citation format.

macOS 13.3.1 Script Editor 2.11 Mail 16.0