How to download iOS 14 Simulator on Xcode 15?

Hello,

After updating to Xcode 15 and macOS Sonoma, there is not an option to download an iOS 14 simulator. My app's minimum deployment target is iOS 14. How can I test that my app is functioning correctly on iOS 14 devices if I cannot download the appropriate simulator? Any ideas for a workaround? Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

Iraklis Eleftheriadis

Replies

According to the release notes:

Xcode 15 includes SDKs for iOS 17, iPadOS 17, tvOS 17, watchOS 10, and macOS Sonoma. The Xcode 15 release supports on-device debugging in iOS 12 and later, tvOS 12 and later, and watchOS 4 and later. Xcode 15 requires a Mac running macOS Ventura 13.5 or later.

So it looks like you can do on-device debugging, but not use the Simulator. I doubt you have every iOS 14 device so it's not a great help. Maybe you'll have to download a version of Xcode that the Simulator is available for?

Is it 100% necessary that you support iOS 14, or could you move your app up a version or two?

• I tried downloading and older version of Xcode but it still did not have an option to download iOS 14. I could move my app a version or two, however, I would potentially lose some customers who have those versions. Do you maybe happen to know the percentage of users who still have iOS 14? Or evn iOS 15?

Add a Comment

I am having the exact same issue. And after trying to manually install the runtime, based on the errors I got I think the iOS 14.5 simulator runtime is just not compatible with macOS Sonoma. Out in the wild a quite large percentage of our user base is using iOS 14 and we just can't drop the iOS 14 support. I am really hoping that an update will fix this soon as iOS 14.5 is still a pretty recent version of iOS to just drop support out of the blue like that.

The release notes seem to only list the newest version that Xcode 15 support. You can download simulator SDKs back to iOS 15.0, but it doesn't seem to support < 15.0, or at least I can't figure out how to download it. You can download the available ones from the Settings/Platforms tab, + in lower left, choose iOS. Then you get a list of simulator runtimes to install. The oldest is iOS 15.0.

the xcode support page states that xcode 15 supports sim versions from 14:

hopefully, someone responsible for the development of xcode will wake up and actually provide this support sometime soon. ideally, i'm sure most developers want to adopt new technologies to gain the benefits thereof, but apple makes it difficult by not seeming to realize that in the real world, we have to also still support users on older devices. many of us don't have an extensive collection of old hardware laying around, nor the time to curate a stable of old devices running older os versions (which it is often impossible to downgrade to). for this reason, sim support is critical.

i was looking forward to working with xcode 15, but so far, it's been mostly a disappointment, between this and the regressions in the commit screen ...

• Same issue is anyone figure it out how to add iOS14 simulator?

• I'm having the same issue. Would love to get an iOS14 simulator running again.

Add a Comment

Same here.

It seems like it is a compatibility issue with macOS Sonoma. I have the runtime installed but am unable to use it.

➜  ~ xcrun simctl list runtimes

== Runtimes ==
iOS 14.0 (14.0.1 - 18A394) - com.apple.CoreSimulator.SimRuntime.iOS-14-0 (unavailable, The iOS 14.0 simulator runtime is not supported on hosts after macOS 13.99.0.)

One of Apple's documented requirements is a lie. Updated to Xcode 15.1 just now and I cannot get iOS 14.5 simulator to work.

xcrun simctl create iOS14TestDevice "iPhone 12" com.apple.CoreSimulator.SimRuntime.iOS-14-5

An error was encountered processing the command (domain=com.apple.CoreSimulator.SimError, code=401):
The iOS 14.5 simulator runtime is not available.
The iOS 14.5 simulator runtime is not supported on hosts after macOS 13.3.99.
The iOS 14.5 simulator runtime is not supported on macOS 13.5.2.

Why this is a problem is that Xcode 15.1 requires macOS 13.5 or later..

So according to Apple's docs, Xcode 15.1 will only run on macOS 13.5, and iOS 14 simulators will only run before macOS 13.3.99. This two requirements are in conflict. Yet, Apple's Xcode support page (which doesn't list Xcode 15.1 yet at all) lists it's possible at least in the Xcode 15.1beta.

I need iOS 14.5 to run in a simulator for continuous integration. Looks like it's no longer possible if we move to Xcode 15.1.

Only Xcode15.0 can supports sim versions 14.

I'm using xcode 15.0.1. Before upgrading macOS 14., I still can see simulator iOS 14. But now, running xcode 15.0.1 in MacOS 14.. I can't see it anymore. Do we have any way to add it back?