How can we access the new focal lengths on iPhone 15 models?

The latest iPhone 15 Pro models support additional focal lengths on the main 24mm (1x) lens: 28mm ("1.2x") and 35mm ("1.5x"). These are supposed to use data from the full sensor to achieve optical quality images (i.e. no upscaling), so I would expect these new focal lengths to appear in the secondaryNativeResolutionZoomFactors array, just like the 2x option does. However, the activeFormat.secondaryNativeResolutionZoomFactors property still only reports [2.0] when using the main 1x lens. Is this an oversight, or is there something special (other than setting the zoom factor) we need to do to access the high-quality 28mm and 35mm modes? I'm wary of simply setting 1.2 or 1.5 as the zoom factor, as that isn't truly the ratio between the base 24mm and the virtual focal lengths.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of tenuki Down vote post of tenuki

Replies

Yes, I am having the same issue.

I strongly believed that the zoom factors for 26mm, 35mm, etc were in secondaryNativeResolutionZoomFactors array.

Apple please give us more documentation on this.

Can we consider that the zoom factor is acceptable within 2.0? So we can set 1.2x(28mm) , 1.5x(35mm) or 1.7x. In these zoom factors, camera uses secondary native resolution.

• That would not work. It would be the same as regular digital zoom in that case.

Add a Comment