Xcode 15, how to uncheck "Connect via network" for physical device?

This thread has been locked by a moderator.
  • Would love a solution here as well !

I have to disconnect my iPhone from the wifi if I want to debug, because even if plugged, debugging seems to prioritize network over usb. It also seems to slow down all my network connections on my phone which is a bummer.

I observed a clear regression from beta 8, it was way faster on the prior iOS 17 / Xcode 15 betas.

• Same, it's absolutely killing me how slow app launches and debugging are.

• +1

Apple Recommended

• Can you point more precise than "Xcode Release Notes"? I'm unable to find anything related in the changelog from "Xcode 15.1 Beta 2 Release Notes" or "Xcode 15.0.1 Release Notes"

• What if Apple "keeps this professional" and does not take such radical decisions that affects hundreds of thousands of people. Loading apps on device and debugging is extremely slow, and I've lost hours of works because of this. Guessing by the comments here, tons of feedback has been received by Apple, even from the beta stage, yet Apple released this crawling Xcode.

• Using and debugging with Xcode is now so pain in the *** that I seriously consider using another tool and Apple answer is not an answer !

Replies

Same here. as @_lilpit says, "I have to disconnect my iPhone from the wifi if I want to debug, because even if plugged, debugging seems to prioritize network over usb."

emas. I don't understand, so many people are concerned about this bug, why don't the authorities solve it.

I had slow app startup times (12s) on my iPad when debugging (via cable). My iPhone, which I did not want to use for debugging, was connected via Wifi. After I connected also the iPhone, startup time on the iPad went down to 3s. After disconnecting the iPhone, startup time stayed on 3s.

I have a tidbit that may prove helpful - I'm also suffering from this super slow-no UI feedback xcode debugging over wifi issue, BUT I've also found that my Mac is somehow accessing the internet even when I'm not explicitly connected to wifi or bluetooth, so... yeah, I don't know what logs you'd want but I'm down to provide them given any instructions.

Hey, I also exp. an issue with “ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED” and from what I read here at Chromium (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1498910), this issue seems the root cause. It makes all my Chromium-based/Electron-apps pretty unusable from time to time when this happens.

I have this issue since a few weeks, and it's crazy how often it appears. My MacBook has none of this issue, nor my Windows PC, so it must be related to this. I once clicked to allow connecting over network to not always dock my iPhone and able to actually walk around and show my device without carrying my laptop with me.

Here is my Feedback ID where I just created a new ticket as well: FB13513987

I also do not like this feature. I'm not concerned about whether it is slow or not; I just want to control which device is a debug device now. I have multiple Apple devices around me, and I want to ensure that the one plugged in via USB will be the default target, not my personal iPhone nearby.

Disabling wifi doesnt work...

Verify that the Developer App certificate for your account is trusted on your device. Open Settings on the device and navigate to General -> VPN & Device Management, then select your Developer App certificate to trust it.

An Internet connection is required to verify the trust of developer "..." This app will not be available until verified.

This is basically a complete blocker when will this be fixed?? Previous version of xcode was fine why was this change forced?

My (company supplied) MacBook has lots of software on it for data security type things i.e. like detecting the browsers are not connecting to malicious web sites etc.

One of them is called Forecepoint, I've long suspected it of causing lots of hassles with internet usage.

Could software of this type interfere with Xcode/the virtual network when an iPhone is connected via USB causing connection and slowness issues? @eskimo

Could [data security type software] interfere with Xcode/the virtual network when an iPhone is connected via USB causing connection and slowness issues?

That’s certainly a possibility. In cases like this I recommend that you work with your IS department to try to isolate the cause. For example, you could set up a test Mac with none of your IS software installed, verify that Xcode works, then add your IS software one item at a time, repeating the Xcode test each time.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

All respect eskimo, but "working with your IS department" is not a feasible solution for those of us that work in large companies. Using a VPN is a very common requirement for corporate work, and intentionally breaking that workflow is a slap in the face to those of us in the corporate world that are passionate about iOS development.

I'm hopeful that Apple sees this and walks back this requirement.

To Apple devs/support/product: As it's been several months since this issue has been open and still gaining traction, how do we get the ball rolling here to get this addressed? Does your team not have enough bug reports/logs to work with? If so, please let us know and we can provide the needed artifacts. How do we, the corporate iOS dev community, escalate the importance of this issue to your product/business team?

If there are any traffic rules to config in VPNs to allow the connection to iOS devices, please let us know. There must be something Apple is doing internally to make this work with your corp VPN.

I have the same issue even on the latest Xcode and I'm just freelance dev working in coworking places or hotels. I have to keep turning off wifi (which is annoying and not a solution) on my phone to force using USB. On top of that I have to turn off my mullvad VPN on macbook so that xcode can then connect via USB. This whole thing drives me nuts and completely kills any enjoyment of coding in Xcode. Wish Apple listen to their dev community and just roll back previous way even for time being until their figure out what's wrong. Still I prefer to having control of forcing USB - this is the most reliable and fastest way especially if someone working on hotel wifi. WIFI should be only used as fallback if device is not connected by wire. Together with other issues in Xcode I have (debugger broken and I constantly I have to clean project to make it work) wastes too much of developer time...

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of pzo Down vote reply of pzo

I'm experiencing a similar issue when I plug my iPhone with iOS 17 into my MacBook Pro and build a run.

My app hangs on the launch screen for a long time (~10 seconds) then once the app UI shows up, it's unresponsive to touches for about 20 seconds.

If I turn wifi off on my iPhone while it's plugged in, it works as I expect it to work: fast build and run, quick launch screen, and instantly responsive once past the launch screen.

However, turning off wifi is not ideal, because if I don't have good cell service it's hard to test my app (which requires internet). Ideally I'd like to be able to build and run at plugged-in speeds when my iPhone is plugged into my computer, even when I have wifi turned on on the iPhone.

I have a test iPhone with iOS 16, and I have connect via network enabled for that device. That devices works as expected: when I have it connected via a cable, it builds and runs quickly, and is instantly responsive to touches when the app starts, like I'd expect. Even when I don't have a cable connected, it takes a little longer to install, but then it starts right up with quick launch screen, and responds to touches immediately, unlike on my iOS 17 device.

I don't have a VPN installed on my iOS 17 device or my MacBook Pro.

It would be great to be able to build and run at a normal speed on iOS 17 devices with wifi enabled again. Hopefully someone on the Xcode team will fix this issue soon! 🤞😢

• Somehow it started working as expected again. Maybe it was updating to iOS 17.3?

Add a Comment

If I disable Wifi and Bluetooth on the device and connect it to the MacBook via cable, it works fine. However, Apple engineers claim that it should use Cable over the Wifi debugging if it is already connected, which is not True. As soon as I turned Wifi & Bluetooth back on and reconnected my phone with cable, it again chose wifi, and Debugging became so painful. :(

Waiting a solution. This issue its really annoying.