Xcode 15, how to uncheck "Connect via network" for physical device?

This thread has been locked by a moderator.
  • Would love a solution here as well !

I have to disconnect my iPhone from the wifi if I want to debug, because even if plugged, debugging seems to prioritize network over usb. It also seems to slow down all my network connections on my phone which is a bummer.

I observed a clear regression from beta 8, it was way faster on the prior iOS 17 / Xcode 15 betas.

• Same, it's absolutely killing me how slow app launches and debugging are.

• +1

Apple Recommended

• Can you point more precise than "Xcode Release Notes"? I'm unable to find anything related in the changelog from "Xcode 15.1 Beta 2 Release Notes" or "Xcode 15.0.1 Release Notes"

• What if Apple "keeps this professional" and does not take such radical decisions that affects hundreds of thousands of people. Loading apps on device and debugging is extremely slow, and I've lost hours of works because of this. Guessing by the comments here, tons of feedback has been received by Apple, even from the beta stage, yet Apple released this crawling Xcode.

• Using and debugging with Xcode is now so pain in the *** that I seriously consider using another tool and Apple answer is not an answer !

Replies

My observations with Xcode 15 and iOS 17, 17.01, and 17.02:

Background: We recently completed development of a complete re-write of our App. The App is lean by design and has an installed size of 32 MB for a Debug Build. Release builds have an installed size of 9 MB, and the IPA size (compressed) is just 3.2 MB.

1. Launching an App from Xcode 15 to an iOS 17 device now takes minutes. The longest timed launch was a little over 3 minutes. Even then, the App would become unresponsive to taps and froze temporarily any time the keyboard was summoned. Whether the device was connected by a physical cable or not had no bearing on these symptoms.
  2. Using the debugger and have it actually stop at a breakpoint took an inordinate amount of time.
  3. Using a device with iOS 16.6 or 16.7, and keeping everything else the same (and using a cable), results in a 3-4 second launch. This is typical for the App.
  4. Different Macs with varying configurations all exhibit the same exact behavior: things work great on iOS 16 but come to a screeching halt on iOS 17. This leads us to believe there is something fundamentally broken in iOS 17. Perhaps it's the new architecture that Quinn mentioned, but that is just conjecture.
  5. As an organization, we have halted the use of iOS 17 devices for development, and reverted to iOS 16 devices for the time being. Being a small outfit, we simply can't afford the time (and patience) needed to develop and debug on iOS 17 devices at this time.

Lastly, we started experiencing App launch issues towards the end of the Xcode 15 and iOS 17 beta period, the initial betas did not exhibit these issues.

This post may not be a constructive one, but i wanted to share my experience and hopefully a temporary workaround (the use of iOS 16) for an issue so many of us are facing. i do plan on opening a feedback using the steps Quinn outlined as soon as my schedule permits.

• It's constructive to point out that Apple has, as they have so frequently in the past, completely screwed up the development process for iOS 17, while simultaneously demanding we build for iOS 17.

Add a Comment

mungbeans wrote:

People running React Native can't turn off Wifi on the iPhone.

OK. But I didn’t suggest turning off Wi-Fi as a permanent solution, or even a workaround. Rather, that suggestion was part of a diagnostic test. If you want to run that diagnostic test and your main app requires Wi-Fi, create a new test project from one of Xcode’s built-in templates.

nokey4 wrote:

i do plan on opening a feedback using the steps Quinn outlined as soon as my schedule permits.

I’m looking forward to it. And thanks for sharing your experience.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Same here.. Debugging in device is not usable anymore since Xcode 15 + iOS 17. Send a feedback.

For me, Xcode is hanging on "Attaching to AppName on DeviceName" and "Installing AppName to DeviceName". Nothing changes, no matter how long I wait. And it was working yesterday! I didn't change anything.

• Never mind. My problem was solved with a good old iPhone reboot.

• “Have you tried turning it off and on?” (-: Seriously though, thanks for letting us know!

Add a Comment

HeGe2 wrote:

Send a feedback.

Does that mean you did file a bug? Or that you plan to?

Either way, see this post for advice on how to file your bug. And please post your bug number just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Thanks! I filed a bug. FB13231882

Add a Comment

The answer to the first is straightforward: iOS 17 has new debugging infrastructure such that all debugging goes over the network. That’s not the same thing as going over Wi-Fi. If you have the device attached via USB, the network requests will go over a virtual network interface running over USB.

When changing anything that impacts standard workflow, Apple should clearly state that at WWDC. I missed the Appleseed for IT presentation (if there was one), but was it mentioned there?

Which brings us to the the second issue: Why is this slow? This seems to only affect some folks. If it were affecting everyone, there’d be a lot more activity on this thread |-:

Now I think you have your answer: everyone is affected! When this was the case during the beta testing during the summer, I attributed this issue to the beta itself and although annoyed, ignored it hopping for the final release to fix it... I'm working with about 80 iOS devs in our team and EVERYBODY with iOS 17 devices can't deploy apps since our Macs are isolated on the network (stealth mode with VPN). My colleague had a call two days ago with someone at Apple after we reported that through our Apple Care Enterprise program. It has been escalated, but I wonder if that will help since it's a corporate decision... (And no, the issue is not the VPN providers as I've read Apple is replying to some customers)

I have done a lot of testing on an iPhone 15 Pro (not MDM managed) connected to my personal MacMini M1 (repeated deploy of the same app "NIPeekaboo" Apple sample code, never ran clean folder as I don't want compiling affecting the results):

• When wifi is activated on the phone and not connected with cable, it takes in average 15.0" to deploy (median: 11.53")
  • When wifi is activated on the phone and plugged in with the USB-C cable, it takes 11.53"" to deploy and the median is 9.6". Sometimes I even get an error (timeout or "could not attached to device").
  • When I switch off wifi, it takes in average 5.03" to deploy the same app (median: 2.7"). (The first try got a "Preparing..." so it took 17", otherwise constantly about 2.6")

So clearly, as long as wifi is activate, with or without cable it takes 250% more time to deploy an app (9.6"-2.7"/2.7 x100).

Bored of:

• "Message from the debugger: Xcode has killed the LLDB RPC server to allow the debugger to detach from your process. You may need to manually terminate your process"
  • "Timeout while connecting to remote device." (domain: com.apple.mobiledevice. Code: -402652910) -> Radar sent to Apple FB13246000.
  • "Browsing on the local area network for XXXXX, which has previously reported preparation errors. Ensure the device is unlock [of course it is!] ans attached with a cable or associated with the same local area network as this Mac [yes it is]. The device must be opted into Developer Mode to connect wirelessly [again, yes it is!]"

Caching symbols take about 25-30 minutes with iPad Pro attached over USB-C. (So process started over WiFi then I attached cable but nothing changed, still very slow).

Same here. With each update it took roughly 25 minutes to collect the symbols. Next time I'll switch wifi off to force debugging through the cable, I will certainly gain a factor 10 in transfer speed.

I hope my feedback with countless others will be sent to Apple for direct actions. I don't see any benefit for us developers to use debugging through wifi as it has been demonstrated being 250% slower than with cable on an iPhone 15 Pro. Hence please revert that "new debugging architecture" to one that is similar to iOS16's and its predecessors. As an engineer we use to say: why changing something that works? (Here I get the feeling Apple tries to force gathering information of the surrounding devices connected through wifi. Sorry if that's how I feel. As many have already express here: please give us the choice to activate the "connect via network". Don't force us.)

• As many have already express here: please give us the choice to activate the "connect via network". Don't force us.

Add a Comment

Same issue here since Xcode 15 iOS 17 device (I really hoped 17.0.3 would fix but it didn't).

Now I've got a problem of my app not installing when I'm running from Xcode. So I cannot recommend that my team upgrades until this is fixed, as we simply won't be able to code. Raise a bug FB13256031

• Thanks for filing FB13256031.

Add a Comment

same +1

Same here... I've turned of macbook's wifi/bluetooth and iPhone's wifi/bluetooth but this did not solved the problem.

I've got a slightly different problem but I think it's related. I'm trying to connect an iPhone 11 with iOS 17 to Xcode 15 and I get stuck on a message stating: Waiting to reconnect to iPhone. I've opened a bug: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/13267950

I think this is also related to this new network only debugging architecture thingy.

• Thanks for filing FB13267950.

Add a Comment

Same problem here. I still got an SE 1st gen (iOS 15.7) and an XS Max (iOS 16.7.1) which I can use for fast debugging, but my brand new 15 Pro Max is slow as molasses (same app), whether I plug in the cable or not.

I am having the same situation.

Sometimes my app launches very slowly, and debugging is slow as well. I am always using USB cable, but I can unplug it and see debugger still works, which makes me think it's debugging wirelessly.

Sometimes it's fast, and I've observed that disabling USB cable immediately stops the debugging.

I would really like to work with the cable, because it was launching a couple of times faster than now.

I've tried disabling Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and the app does not launch. I receive an error, works well when I am connected to Wi-Fi

The request to open "com.redacted.app.staging" failed.
Domain: IDELaunchCoreDevice
Code: 0
User Info: {
    DVTErrorCreationDateKey = "2023-10-16 16:37:11 +0000";
    IDERunOperationFailingWorker = IDELaunchCoreDeviceWorker;
}
--
The application failed to launch.
Domain: com.apple.dt.CoreDeviceError
Code: 10002
    BundleIdentifier = "com.redacted.app.staging";
}
--
The request to open "com.redacted.app.staging" failed.
Domain: FBSOpenApplicationServiceErrorDomain
Code: 1
Failure Reason: The request was denied by service delegate (SBMainWorkspace).
    BSErrorCodeDescription = RequestDenied;
    FBSOpenApplicationRequestID = 0xde7f;
}
--
The operation couldn’t be completed. The process failed to launch.
Domain: FBProcessExit
Code: 64
Failure Reason: The process failed to launch.
    BSErrorCodeDescription = "launch-failed";
}
--
The operation couldn’t be completed. Launch failed.
Domain: RBSRequestErrorDomain
Code: 5
Failure Reason: Launch failed.
--
Launchd job spawn failed
Domain: NSPOSIXErrorDomain
Code: 85
Failure Reason: Bad executable (or shared library)
--

Event Metadata: com.apple.dt.IDERunOperationWorkerFinished : {
    "device_isCoreDevice" = 1;
    "device_model" = "iPhone16,1";
    "device_osBuild" = "17.0.2 (21A350)";
    "device_platform" = "com.apple.platform.iphoneos";
    "dvt_coredevice_version" = "348.1";
    "dvt_mobiledevice_version" = "1643.2.4";
    "launchSession_schemeCommand" = Run;
    "launchSession_state" = 1;
    "launchSession_targetArch" = arm64;
    "operation_duration_ms" = 7856;
    "operation_errorCode" = 0;
    "operation_errorDomain" = IDELaunchCoreDevice;
    "operation_errorWorker" = IDELaunchCoreDeviceWorker;
    "operation_name" = IDERunOperationWorkerGroup;
    "param_debugger_attachToExtensions" = 0;
    "param_debugger_attachToXPC" = 1;
    "param_debugger_type" = 3;
    "param_destination_isProxy" = 0;
    "param_destination_platform" = "com.apple.platform.iphoneos";
    "param_diag_MainThreadChecker_stopOnIssue" = 0;
    "param_diag_MallocStackLogging_enableDuringAttach" = 0;
    "param_diag_MallocStackLogging_enableForXPC" = 1;
    "param_diag_allowLocationSimulation" = 1;
    "param_diag_checker_tpc_enable" = 1;
    "param_diag_gpu_frameCapture_enable" = 0;
    "param_diag_gpu_shaderValidation_enable" = 0;
    "param_diag_gpu_validation_enable" = 1;
    "param_diag_memoryGraphOnResourceException" = 0;
    "param_diag_queueDebugging_enable" = 1;
    "param_diag_runtimeProfile_generate" = 0;
    "param_diag_sanitizer_asan_enable" = 0;
    "param_diag_sanitizer_tsan_enable" = 0;
    "param_diag_sanitizer_tsan_stopOnIssue" = 0;
    "param_diag_sanitizer_ubsan_stopOnIssue" = 0;
    "param_diag_showNonLocalizedStrings" = 0;
    "param_diag_viewDebugging_enabled" = 1;
    "param_diag_viewDebugging_insertDylibOnLaunch" = 1;
    "param_install_style" = 0;
    "param_launcher_UID" = 2;
    "param_launcher_allowDeviceSensorReplayData" = 0;
    "param_launcher_kind" = 0;
    "param_launcher_style" = 99;
    "param_launcher_substyle" = 8192;
    "param_runnable_appExtensionHostRunMode" = 0;
    "param_runnable_productType" = "com.apple.product-type.application";
    "param_structuredConsoleMode" = 1;
    "param_testing_launchedForTesting" = 0;
    "param_testing_suppressSimulatorApp" = 0;
    "param_testing_usingCLI" = 0;
    "sdk_canonicalName" = "iphoneos17.0";
    "sdk_osVersion" = "17.0";
    "sdk_variant" = iphoneos;
}
--

System Information

macOS Version 14.0 (Build 23A344)
Xcode 15.0 (22265) (Build 15A240d)
Timestamp: 2023-10-16T18:37:11+02:00

Filed a report: FB13278689

• Thanks for filing FB13278689.

Add a Comment

This issue is so annoying. My whole team is falling behind because we upgraded our macs and phones. We need to be able to turn off Network mode. I don't understand why it would be locked on... It's been clear over the years that it's not very performant.

Same here. We are trying to test/debug a critical feature involving network (which obviously needs to be tested on losing/reconnecting wifi) and it is–as of now, writing this post–impossibile: even when launching with the device attached to USB the debugger crashes as soon as wifi is disabled. Honestly a little concerning that this was overlooked.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of nknr Down vote reply of nknr

The same problem is here! Can't develop with my normal speed at all... Apple, bring fresh air back!