App Compiled under iOS 17 Beta 7 SDK with Xcode 15.0 beta 7 (15A5229h) crashes on iOS 12 devices.

Pretty much the title. Crash occurs immediately on running the app from Xcode 15 beta 7 on iOS 12 device, in my case iPhone 5S:

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (code=1, address=0x52c000) in _dyld_start:

0x103ad503c <+60>:  mov    x5, sp
0x103ad5040 <+64>:  bl     0x103ad5088               ; dyldbootstrap::start(macho_header const*, int, char const**, long, macho_header const*, unsigned long*)

-> 0x103ad5044 <+68>: mov x16, x0 0x103ad5048 <+72>: ldr x1, [sp]

Is it only me? Anything that can be done to fix it?

Reported to Apple as FB13040351.

Replies

I'm getting reports of this from users with iOS 12 devices after releasing my first update built with Xcode 15. I haven't received a crash log yet to compare with yours, but it might be the same issue. Are you still seeing the same issue with the Xcode 15 public release?

I got a crash log, but it doesn't resemble what you posted. It won't symbolicate in Xcode 14.3 and I haven't figured out how the symbolicate function works in Xcode 15 (the documentation references a button that is no longer there). I'm submitting an app update with Xcode 14.3 now and will submit my own bug report to Apple, and hopefully they will notify me if it's fixed so I know that it's safe to use Xcode 15 again.

FWIW, here's how my crash log starts:

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Subtype: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000b94000
VM Region Info: 0xb94000 is not in any region.  Bytes before following region: 4294967296
      REGION TYPE                      START - END             [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD  REGION DETAIL
      UNUSED SPACE AT START
--->  
      __TEXT                 0000000100b94000-0000000100b98000 [   16K] r-x/r-x SM=COW  ...pp/BandHelper

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [236]
Triggered by Thread:  0

The stack trace for the crashed thread looks like this when opened in Xcode 15, but I don't know what to do with that:

I am facing similar situation, no code changes but new build just crashing for iOS 12. I am not sure if Apple will fix this or we have any work around way. Please help.

I received another crash log from macOS that did symbolicate and pointed to a third-party library I'm using. The developer of that library pointed me to this item in the Xcode release notes:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode-release-notes/xcode-15-release-notes#Linking

I don't know if this is the same issue as the original post, but the release notes include a change you can make to your build settings to bypass the issue (I don't have a way to test it myself on iOS 12 currently).

I got an old iPad with iOS 12 and confirmed that adding the two flags -Wl and -ld_classic to Other Linker Flags in my build settings fixed the crash on launch with a third-party library.

I too am getting crashes on my iOS 12 and iOS 14 devices when running XCode 15. In my case, the crash happened just after the splash screen appears and the stack showed the app was trying to load. It works fine on my iOS 17 devices. I updated the "OTHER_LDFLAGS" in my project to include "-Wl -ld_classic" and it seems to have solved the issue for now. Unfortunately I'm not sure if using a "classic linker" makes any sense or will have repercussions.

• Can confirm: Adding "-Wl -ld_classic" to 'Other Linker Flags' in Target/Runner fixed it. I just wasted three days on this. Thank you so much

Add a Comment