Transferring a MacOS Electron app to a new company

We will soon be transferring our MacOS Electron app to a newly-created company. The app uses electron-builder and electron-updater (which in turn uses Squirrel.Mac). We distribute the app ourselves. (That is, it is not distributed in the App Store.)

If the new company signs the app with their certificate, I assume that updating from the version signed with the old company's certificate won't work. For Windows, it seems that I can provide both the old and new company names when building the app and then a subsequent update will work if the code is signed with either company's certificate. I haven't been able to find a similar process that will work on Mac.

I found this article, which doesn't offer much help: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/669350

But would a valid solution be to transfer the old company's developer account (or at least the Team ID/App ID Prefix) to the new company? Is that possible? And if so, and the Team ID/App ID Prefix remains the same, would the app be able to update even though the Bundle ID changes?

Thanks.

Does your app use restricted entitlements? Those are entitlements that must be authorised by a provisioning profile. See TN3125 Inside Code Signing: Provisioning Profiles for more background on this.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Q