Xcode Canvas Simulator cause multiple diagnosticd processes to run and 100% CPU

The Xcode Canvas Simulator (for Xcode 14 and even 15 ..beta 6) cause multiple springboard and diagnosticd processes to run at nearly 100% CPU , cause the MacBook M1 to heat. This happens every time. This is usually triggered after the Canvas show an error which live previewing the code as I edit it.

I have tried clearing the derived data but it doesn't seem to help. This happens with all projects. I am unable to use live previews because of this issue.

The are often other processes with the string Poster in them. Like PhotosPosterProvider , CollectionsPoster , ExtragalacticPoster running high on usage at the same time.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of diiiv9 Down vote post of diiiv9
4.3k views
  • This is still not fixed in Xcode 15. This is a know issue.

The root of these Simulator memory issues are entitlements. There is also high CPU usage for the same reason.

https://federated.saagarjha.com/notice/AZvHeDBVoEaxOXhCgi https://mastodon.social/@chockenberry/111177139137676509

• Boggling how long this issue has persisted. If someone leaves Xcode running while the MacBook is on a charger overnight , the MacBook is going to be toast by morning

Add a Comment

Replies

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having performance problems while using previews. The best next step will be to file a feedback with diagnostics so we can take a look.

Steps to generate helpful diagnostics:

1. Download and install the logging profile on all devices involved. Instructions and profiles are available here: https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/?name=swift
  2. Reproduce the issue
  3. Click the "Diagnostics" button in the error banner in Previews' Canvas area (or if the banner is missing you can use the menu: Editor > Canvas > Diagnostics)
  4. In the sheet that appears, click "Generate Report" in the bottom left of the sheet
  5. Attach (or make from the folder) the resulting zip file to the bug (will be named something like previews-diagnostics-0123456789.zip)
  6. Generate the sysdiagnose(s) and attach those too
  • Umm , Installing the logging profile seems to have rectified the issue. Xcode has never run this smooth for me ! Hope it stays the same 🤞and doesn't revert when the profile expires. Thanks !

• This issue still persists with Xcode 15 . The process causes the MacBook to severely heat up and the battery drained to zero. I haven't received any fix or communication through Feedback App.

• The issue is in Xcode when a preview is done in a SwiftUI view : CMD-OPTION-Enter. The Mac starts to heat and many CPU cores are fully used. The profiles you give are for real devices, whereas the issue is inside Xcode with the integrated iOS preview without any device connected. Could you please give updated steps in order to allow the sysdiagnose to be created ? Thank you.

The issue persists. Drained the laptop battery overnight. I have filed a feedback with the sysdiagnose file. How can I know how and when the issue has a solution ?

• Could you post the feedback ID you created and I'll make sure the right team is looking at it?

• Is there any work in progress for the Xcode developer team to solve this big issue soon? It lasts for a very long time and it's frustrating. Our CPU's are burning!

Add a Comment

Force quitting all *poster processes , helps resolve the issue for some time.

Problem still persists in Xcode 15 RC.

Problem persists in oficial Xcode 15 version.

Same Xcode 15 official release here and even without using Previews or Simulators but just Xcode open I had 2 SpringBoards at +100% CPU melting my computer.

Not sure if related, but I'm seeing 100% CPU use on tvOS projects. Soon as I open up Interface Builder (storyboards), launchd_sim and PineBoard processes wind up and peg physical CPUs at 100%. On Intel MacBook Pro. Xcode latest release. iOS projects are fine. FB13225766

I'm getting the same problem in Xcode 15 and Xcode 15.1 beta 1. All the poster extensions go crazy and you need to manually kill them or they burn CPU forever. There exists a GitHub project (https://github.com/biscuitehh/yeetd) that aims to simply kill them all in a loop:

while true
do
    pkill AegirPoster
    pkill InfographPoster
    pkill CollectionsPoster
    pkill ExtragalacticPoster
    pkill KaleidoscopePoster
    pkill EmojiPosterExtension
    pkill AmbientPhotoFramePosterProvider
    pkill PhotosPosterProvider
    pkill AvatarPosterExtension
    pkill GradientPosterExtension
    pkill MonogramPosterExtension
    pkill apsd
    sleep 5
done

however installing a daemon to do this seems like overkill (pun?).

• yeetd definitely helps 😃! And it's quite easy to use. I totally missed this reply until I found out yeetd when dealing with my failed CI runs 😅

Add a Comment

I'm presenting the same issue with the official release of Xcode 15 on macOS Sonoma (I did a clean install and same result) I hope this can be fixed soon.

I'm not running anything in the simulator and still using a high amount of CPU (about 40% on a M1 Max), in my laptop this means that my battery will drain quite fast and high temperature.

After closing Xcode and Simulator the CPU idling goes back to about 96%.

Here is a screenshot of the processes, this was taken with the simulator idling and Xcode doing nothing:

Same issue here, while previewing in SwiftUi M2 get heated up a lot, like a lot. Is there any fix for this bug?????

Having the same here and the heat is unbelievable :|

The problem still persist. Very annoying (MacBook Pro M2 Pro) Any work around?

Same issue here, MBP M2 Max, Xcode 15.0.1

Same issue here, MacBookPro M2 Max, Xcode 15.0.1

Here also, MBA M2, Sonoma 14.0, Xcode Version 15.0.1 (15A507)