CXProvider.reportNewIncomingVoIPPushPayload() behavior changed with iOS 16.6

I've been successfully using CXProvider.reportNewIncomingVoIPPushPayload() as follows:

• a (non VoIP) push is sent to the handset
  • this is intercepted by a notification service extension
  • the extension calls CXProvider.reportNewIncomingVoIPPushPayload() (the extension has the required com.apple.developer.usernotifications.filtering entitlement)
  • this results in the app delegate's implementation of PKPushRegistryDelegate:didReceiveIncomingPushWithPayload getting called (the app is launched if terminated)

This all works as expected, in particular when the app is terminated it still works.

However its suddenly stopped working since my phone got updated to iOS 16.6 (I can't remember exactly what was on it previously, 16.5 or 16.4).

Now with iOS 16.6 the behavior is that PKPushRegistryDelegate:didReceiveIncomingPushWithPayload() only gets called if the app is not terminated.

If the app is terminated then calling CXProvider.reportNewIncomingVoIPPushPayload() results in the app getting launched and didFinishLaunchingWithOptions() getting called BUT didReceiveIncomingPushWithPayload() is not called when launching from a terminated state.

As a consequence of didReceiveIncomingPushWithPayload() not getting called, the app isn't calling reportNewIncomingCallWithUUID() and so after a few runs the OS stops launching the app entirely saying: "Application will not be launched because it failed to report an incoming call too many times".

When didFinishLaunchingWithOptions() is called the launchOptions are nil, i.e. there is no way to distinguish the app from being launched as a consequence of reportNewIncomingVoIPPushPayload()(*) being called and therefore it is not possible to call reportNewIncomingCallWithUUID(). So this feature is totally broken apparently from previous behavior.

Any comment?

TIA

(*)Well actually, the extension could write a flag to a shared group and the app read that on launch, but what a hack, and should be unnecessary.

UPDATE: after updating from iOS 16.6 to 17 beta 5, its started working as expected again. Hence the assumption this is a 16.6 bug

CXProvider.reportNewIncomingVoIPPushPayload() behavior changed with iOS 16.6

Q