Report of MacBook Pro (Bridge OS) crashes upon connection of the Charger.

i have been using Beta software for a while now, but it is the first time I have encounter such problem. The mac i am currently using MacBook Pro early 2020 (intel, 4 thunderbolt ports). this mac comes with a T2 Chip which runs BridgeOS. I have recently received notification form the settings app saying a new macOS version (Sonoma Developer Beta 4) is available. After attempting to update the software, it seems to corrupt the 2 copies of BridgeOS on the T2 Chip and the device will crash when it is connected to a charger under, safe mode, normal mode and recovery mode. I would like to know is anyone else experiencing this and have anyone found a work around yet. At the meantime, i will try to put the T2 chip into DFU mode and restore the image on the chip. Any help would be appreciated!

Best Regards, Peter

Accepted Reply

Dear all,

after the official release of macOS Sonoma, I can confirm with my computer that the issue no longer persist. Here is another list of hardware/firmware versions:

1. Firmware Version: 2020.0.1.0.0 (iBridge: 21.16.365.0.0,0)
  2. OS Loader Version: 580-439
  3. (in the controller Page) Firmware Version: 21P365
  4. macOS version: macOS Sonoma beta 14.0 (23A344)

Hope that the Sonoma update would not affect any more users interns of stability.

Best Regards, Peter

• I have been update my mac to 23A344 and Firmware Version: 2020.0.1.0.0 (iBridge: 21.16.365.0.0,0). But problem still exists.

• have you taken your computer to apple to check its condition as well as running the hardware diagnostic by pressing the D key upon boot up?

Add a Comment

Replies

I have the exact same issue, the device crashes once connected or disconnected from the charger, I am also on MacBook Pro early 2020 (intel, 4 thunderbolt ports). Currently I still cannot find any work around, what I have to do to connect to power is to shut down the device completely, close the lid, plug in, wait a while before open the lid to boot the system normally, but then again, once you disconnect the charger, it will crash. I tried to restore to Public Beta 1 - 23A5286i (same build as Dev Beta 3) via recovery mode, but the issue still persisted.

I am experiencing the same issue. I was stuck also in reboot loop so am restoring the OS, is there more I need to do. I was worried the update had bricked my machine.

I can provide you with my MacOS version, IBridge version and firmware version

1. Firmware Version: 2019.0.0.0.0 (iBridge: 21.16.333.5.3,0)
  2. OS Loader Version: 580-302
  3. (in the controller Page) Firmware Version: 21P50333c
  4. macOS version: macOS Sonoma beta 14.0 (23A5301g)

Updates on the problem: I have confirmed that the crash of macOS was caused by the kernel panic on the BridgeOS. I have run diagnostic mode and it said my unit has "no issues found". So I went ahead to Apple and they agreed to replace my motherboard. The staff claims that it does not make sense to be a software issue and since my device is still under warranty, it is recommended to replace the motherboard completely. I am sorry that I did not put the device in DFU mode and test it further, but this is sort of my main unit and I need to get it back running asap. (I also know that I should not install beta software on main units, but honestly, no one expected this to occur) Still, I would love to see responses from other people and Staff from Apple when it comes to solving this particular issue.

BTW, on the Feedback assistant app, the app still said "No similar report" if someone else if experiencing the same issue, please report to apple and try to bring this to the attention of Apple. Thank you!

Best Regards, Peter

• I had the same issue. I wanna know How can you confirm the real problem is BridgeOS kernel panic. How to debug it.

• Because after unplugging the charger, the bridgeOS crash report popped up. You may take a look at others comment, they have provided some possible solution that may temporarily resolve the issue.

Best Regards, Peter

Add a Comment

I have also reported this issue. I was able to use DFU mode and restore from a device running macOS 13.5. Attempting to re-install beta 4 results in the issue immediately returning.

I've also attempted to install beta 3 using a USB made using the installer but when attempting to boot that drive it says "A software update is required to use this startup disk." Clicking Update and waiting several hours, the progress bar has not moved so I am struggling to get back onto Sonoma to restore my latest backup!

had this issue as well, but mine finally stabilized, however, the battery depleted completely and now it won't boot at all.

• I am sorry to hear that, but have you tried putting the T2 chip into DFU mode and restore the image from the other Mac yet?

Add a Comment

I've had the issue on my Intel 4-Thunderbolt, as well. The workaround I found has been to shut the machine completely down before changing power states; I could / can then either unplug or re-connect the power or the docking station safely, then power back up, and the power state would / will be recognized properly. Apple replied to my Feedback report, asked me for some further information, and, yesterday afternoon, let me know they'd released a new build that they think will resolve the issue. I'm installing it at present, with fingers crossed...

• The update appears to have solved the power-change condition kernel panics on my test machine, for what it's worth.

• I am scared of the beta software now, it's way too buggy. who would have imagined a beta version could cause such a serious kernel panic on their product..... but it is almost seems to me that the 4 thunderbolt ports intel MacBook Pro 13" is the only Mac that is affected by this bugs...... guess they are just paying less attention to these Macs now. It is great to hear that it works now :)

Add a Comment

So for those of us who have had their battery die in this state, there seems no way to fix the issue. I have tried support, but they want to send it off for a battery replacement. Will need to get a battery with a change long enough to update or to use configurator, but don't like the concept of having to pay for a battery replacement when I was testing an app of the beta as part of the agreement.

• I was able to plug it in while it was off following a panic, and wait about 10 minutes, and then power on with the cord connected. It came up properly, and charged up the battery.

Add a Comment

Hello,

I had this exact same issue with the same type of MacBook. I took it into the Apple Store to run diagnostics. Everything came out as normal. The only recommendation was to recover the Mac. The MacBook is now charging and running normally. I did have to clear my hard drive and then reinstall the OS. I figured I'd give this a try before attempting a $600 repair.

-DC

Great to hear that! My Mac was having less than 20% battery left unfortunately I could not perform the OS update. But it’s honestly good to know that the issue has been resolved for you!

Dear all,

after the official release of macOS Sonoma, I can confirm with my computer that the issue no longer persist. Here is another list of hardware/firmware versions:

1. Firmware Version: 2020.0.1.0.0 (iBridge: 21.16.365.0.0,0)
  2. OS Loader Version: 580-439
  3. (in the controller Page) Firmware Version: 21P365
  4. macOS version: macOS Sonoma beta 14.0 (23A344)

Hope that the Sonoma update would not affect any more users interns of stability.

Best Regards, Peter

• I have been update my mac to 23A344 and Firmware Version: 2020.0.1.0.0 (iBridge: 21.16.365.0.0,0). But problem still exists.

• have you taken your computer to apple to check its condition as well as running the hardware diagnostic by pressing the D key upon boot up?

Add a Comment

Just reporting that the last few BridgeOS releases since the fix mentioned in this post (bundled with macOS Somona, Ventura, Monterey, and some Big Sur versions), appear to have introduced Touch Bar backlight intermittent flashing problems on MacBookPro16,2 (Intel, 2020) with older macOS (specifically 11.x - 13.x). Upon communicating with the repair community and some local Apple stores, reviving may resolve the issue. Please fix the regression.