How to update macOS Beta on VM devices

I'm used to test all the Beta version on Virtual OS ... With the new framework there is no way to sign with iCloud account. so no way to put an account to update the VM with a new beta who is released.

The only solution is to setup a new VM. that is a real limitation as update process is important to test too...

Any one have a solution?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of mnahum Down vote post of mnahum

Replies

why are you using a VM, and what are you testing with it, and how?

I gave up on using VMs because of the inability to sign into iCloud on a VM, and because it really didn't seem to save any time.

I wanted to test the first-time-install experience for our software, which seems impossible to replicate without starting with a new OS and a new user account. It seems to take just as long to reinstall the OS on a VM as it does to reinstall the OS on a physical partition. So that's what I do now - I install beta OSs on a partition of an external drive, and boot a second laptop from that (so that I can continue to use my development machine for other tasks like email and Slack).

I often need to debug behavior on the new OS, so I have to install Xcode on that new OS, which also takes its sweet time. I put the beta OS on an external disk, and use a second laptop booted from that disk as my test machine.

I'd really like to hear how other people are using VMs for testing their software, and how that experience is better than using a separate Mac and/or a separate boot partition.

Up vote for iCloud auth support in vm. Again. 😂