New warning when updating app in macOS Sonoma

Hi, I am testing out an update for my app in macOS Sonoma. I first installed the App Store version of my app on the device running macOS Sonoma, and it ran fine. I then installed an updated version of my app through TestFlight (built with macOS Ventura SDK), but when I run this updated version, I get prompted ”MyApp differs from previously opened versions. Are you sure you want to open it?".

Why is this happening? Is this warning only because the app is updated through TestFlight, or do I need to do something to prevent this warning from happening when I update my app through the App Store?

I see this mentioned in an Apple security update::

App Sandbox now associates your macOS app with its sandbox container using its code signature. The operating system asks the person using your app to grant permission if it tries to access a sandbox container associated with a different app. For more information, see Accessing files from the macOS App Sandbox.

My app is already sandboxed, and I'm not trying to access a different app's sandbox container, just my own. For the TestFlight build, it probably also uses the same Release configuration that the App Store build uses. I might have changed my provisioning profiles recently because they expired. Would that affect this and cause a prompt to be showed?

Would love to know more about this prompt and how to avoid it. Thanks.

Replies

This sounds like a bug to me. Updating an App Store app with a TestFlight app shouldn’t trigger this alert. I recommend that you file a bug report with all the details, most importantly, a sysdiagnose log taken shortly after reproducing the problem.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Oh, and as with your other thread, I recommend that you start with a fresh environment, just to confirm that the state left over by an Apple Development signed version of your app isn’t triggering the problem.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I repeatedly get this problem for an app I'm developing Xcode (yes, the app is signed with a developer certificate). The message keeps appearing every few minutes to every few seconds. Even after a reboot, I'm greeted by this message. It has killed the user experience.

At the very least, this alert should have a checkbox for "don't show me this again for this app – ever".

Yes, yes, I know: file a feedback. But, I've completely lost faith in the feedback system when it comes to getting problems fixed with macOS. The last few major issues I've run into, I've had to file a DTS request to get them to look at it and confirm the bug to finally get attention for a feedback filing.

At the very least, this alert should have a checkbox for "don't show me this again for this app – ever".

Well, that’s sounds like good ER to me.

As to a workaround, have you tried trashing your app’s container? That is, the directory in ~/Library/Containers that holds your app’s ‘home directory’. That’s usually sufficient to clear issues like this.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"