Xcode 15 beta strings catalog

Hey,

I'm trying the new strings catalog, and I have a script that I would like to run on the xcstrings json.

My question is there some documentation on the json format (what keys can it have, and values)?

Also, I didn't try it yet, but what if I set for example 50 languages and 1000 localization keys, is that json really scalable? It could grow quite large, would xcode still keep it as one big file, or it would somehow split it into chunks?

Would be happy for any info from the dev teams, thanks!

Answered by Developer Tools Engineer in 756602022

String Catalogs store an entire string table in a single JSON file, even if there are a large number of keys and languages. If this ends up presenting a problem (with Xcode's performance, for example), please send some feedback our way.

As for the specifics of the JSON format itself, we have not published documentation because it is primarily intended to be read/written by Xcode. If you do end up writing your own parser for this format, please be aware that Xcode reserves the right to change it.

Accepted Answer

String Catalogs store an entire string table in a single JSON file, even if there are a large number of keys and languages. If this ends up presenting a problem (with Xcode's performance, for example), please send some feedback our way.

As for the specifics of the JSON format itself, we have not published documentation because it is primarily intended to be read/written by Xcode. If you do end up writing your own parser for this format, please be aware that Xcode reserves the right to change it.

Xcode 15 beta strings catalog

Q