MacOS 14 (Sonoma) Smart Card Reader Non-functional

I have upgrade to Mac OS 14 and my smart card reader quit working. Works in safe mode and while booting up. Then stops functioning. Allow Accessories to connect is not visible. However, I can search for the function but not select it. MacBook Air M1, Sonoma Beta.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of DogFX01 Down vote post of DogFX01
10k views
  • Same problem for me. I saw this message in th console, maybe related: "invalidated after getting a no-senders notification - client is gone"

Add a Comment

Replies

Same issue for me on <b>Sonoma (14.0)</b>. Has anyone found a workaround?

I passed this issue by switching the value "Allow accessories to access" to Automatically when unlocked or Always

Add a Comment

Just upgraded to macOS 14.1 Beta (23B5046f) (The developer beta for Sonoma 14.1 next release) and the smart card still doesnt work :(

I GOT IT WORKING in macOS 14.1 Beta (23B5046f) by INSTEAD of connecting by USB, I connected with BlueTooth using the GBDM App (Gemalto Card Reader for Barclays iPortal login) and connecting the card reader by BLUETOOTH (which has NEVER been possible in Ventura, it always failed to connect)

Im now logged into Barclays iPortal!! Woot Woot! Party!

Now I have a VAT return to do ... boooooooo.

Ha there been any update? I have tried two USB readers and opensc, but the card never seems to be read

I installed the CCID Drivers 1.5.2. Now it is working. https://www2.swift.com/3skey/help/mac_support.html

• I installed CCID 1.5.2 as well, still not working. I have safenet authentication client 10.8.66.0 with "com.gemalto.Gemalto-Smart-Card-Token.PKCS11-Token", "com.apple.CryptoTokenKit.pivtoken" tokens disabled. Used to work prior to the upgrade

• I installed CCID 1.5.2, still not working for me. I also have safenet authentication client installed and default tokens disabled( "com.gemalto.Gemalto-Smart-Card-Token.PKCS11-Token", "com.apple.CryptoTokenKit.pivtoken")

• Thank you for providing the driver update! It is working for me too after installing CCID 1.5.2.

Got mine to work. My reader is the SCR3310. I just went to the developer website and re-downloaded the driver for the reader.

Here

https://support.identiv.com/scr3310v2/

Hope this works for others as well!

• This worked for me. Thank you so much dear sir. You saved me from a huge headache

• Did not work her. No change.

• At same site I found the drivers for My SCR 355 card reader, called "scmccid_5_0_41_release_signed", URL is https://support.identiv.com/smartfold-scr3500/, reinstalled and now it works again. A.

Add a Comment

I had been using a Saicoo card reader (FBA_S0201B-SSM) which was working fine on macOS 13 (Ventura). Upon upgrading to Sonoma 14.0, the reader stopped functioning. I then purchased the Belkin F1DN008U card reader and it works out of the box with no additional drivers. I also have heard success with the Identiv SCR3310v2.0 card reader on macOS 14.0. Hope this helps if someone is encountering the same issue. It appears like there may be some card readers that stop functioning on macOS 14.0 due to the built in driver not being compatible.

• I have SCR3310v2.0 and it stopped working after upgrading to Sonoma. Had to re-install the identive drivers to make it work as suggested from the post right above this one.

Add a Comment

I used I have safenet authentication client with PKCS11-Token e i got the same problem

Same problem here. I use Safenet. I can not unlock my token.

• For Safest/Gemalto/Thales token this should do the trick: https://supportportal.gemalto.com/csm?sys_kb_id=fd704ab21bd53d1019913035464bcb30&id=kb_article_view&sysparm_rank=1&sysparm_tsqueryId=6d3f495947fd3d50eefd66ebd36d437c&sysparm_article=KB0027738

Other readers are not affected, still have some not recognised...

• Thank you! My reseller sent the same build I guess

• Thanks @oouzoo - that download fixed the Gemalto card reader for iPortal for Barclays too.

Add a Comment

My card reseller has sent me a hotfix for SafeNet users. I uploaded it to on my Github: https://github.com/smuhlaci/safenet-macos14-fix/releases/tag/main

You should uninstall your current middleware(removing the SafeNet folder in Applications/ worked fine), then install the .dmg file in the link.

Using an IOGEAR GSR20, can login to a citrix remote desktop instance but it crashes immediately and the card reader "green light" goes offs. Only a restart will restore it but the same thing happens. I've noticed software installers that accept PIV/smart card pins will crash on entering it too.

Steps I took to fix this issue:

Make sure you have installed both libusb and pkg-config from brew.

1. Download the latest CCID driver from here https://ccid.apdu.fr/files/ and unzip it
  2. In terminal, cd to where the libs from libusb are installed (mine was in /opt/homebrew/Cellar/libusb/1.0.26/lib) and run these 2 commands:
    • mv libusb-1.0.dylib libusb-1.0.lib
    • mv libusb-1.0.0.dylib libusb-1.0.0.lib
  3. cd to where you the CCID stuff and run these 2 commands:
    • pkg-config --libs libusb-1.0
    • pkg-config --cflags libusb-1.0
  4. Install the driver using these commands:
    • ./MacOSX/configure
    • make
    • sudo make install

Assuming you've followed along correctly and everything ran without issues, you should now have a new CCID driver installed in /usr/local/libexec/SmartCardServices/drivers/ifd-ccid.bundle.

Once you have made all your changes, in order for this driver to take effect you have to reboot the system.

• I had a same problem. And this worked for me. Thank you very much! SCR3310-NTTCom

• Worked for me as well, AKASA AK-CR-038KV2 reader.

• Worked for me as well, AKASA AK-CR-038KV2 reader. Thanks a lot!

I do not know what else to do. I went through every step at least twice. I uninstalled and reinstalled certificates. I updated the drivers. No dice. Everything was working fine a few weeks ago. My card reader and CAC works on other computers without an issue so it is definitely an issue with the macOS Sonoma.

I saw there was a new Public Release Beta out. Has anyone tried it to see if it resolves this issue? I'm usually able to get my smart card to work in the browser, but soon as it launches a third-party application like Citrix Workspaces, the virtual environment just hangs; as described by someone else in this thread.