Gesture: System gesture gate timed out.

Hi everyone

I am fighting with a weird problem in my app I use swiftui and ai do not use tabs, but a hierarchy of view created by me that switch one to the other with a slide animation when I tap one of the elements i don't use gesture, but only ontap. The same app launched on two different iPhone has two different behaviours on the iPhone 11 no problem, the animation is fluid and responsive, on the iPhone 10 I got some delay, and in the console I can read Gesture: System gesture gate timed out

I have searched but I have not found anything useful and more than this it is extremely difficult to find some info about this warning/error

How can I solve this? on the iPhone 10 it seems like the animation got stuck for 1 seconds prior to be executed in the correct way

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of TheFinal Down vote post of TheFinal
5.4k views
  • <0x104c07fc0> Gesture: System gesture gate timed out. Here too. I am not using SwiftUI, just UIKit and it even happens in the most minimal project: E.g. A UIViewController with a UITextField in it, nothing else. As soon as I touch the screen with finger. It also happens each time with my other projects with custom gesture recognition. And the bug was not there always, but now it appeared with my old projects.

Add a Comment

Replies

Same issue!

<0x109412960> Gesture: System gesture gate timed out.

Same issue as well!

<0x108b0e810> Gesture: System gesture gate timed out.

I see a similar issue on dragging a view around with the onDrag modifier:

In the console I see lots of identical warnings: Found no UIEvent for backing event of type: 11; contextId: 0xcb35f894

When that happens my drag cancels and I have to retry it a couple of times before my drag works

• I'm using .draggable and .dropDestination and I get both the warning you're getting on iPad and the original posters warning on iPhone. My draggable view is draggable (I can drag it around) but it isn't droppable.

I put a couple of prints in the .dropDestination closures and the first closure seems not to fire. The "isTargeted:" does fire and the print statement works.

Add a Comment

We are also seeing this issue, we have a small number of users that are reporting that parts of our application that are built using SwiftUI are completely unresponsive. When we look at their logs, we see the following:

<0x10760b4e0> Gesture: System gesture gate timed out.

Experiencing the same issue with a simple TextField in iOS 17.0.2 and iPhone 15 Pro

<0x113208680> Gesture: System gesture gate timed out.

Experiencing the same issue with simple TextField in iOS 17.1.2 & iPhone11 and the latest Xcode

<0x102f062e0> Gesture: System gesture gate timed out.

Used to work ok with previous versions. Note: no gestures used, only simple TextField

Experiencing the same issue with a simple TextField in 17.1.1 & iPhone 15.

<0x11b20cc20> Gesture: System gesture gate timed out.

I noticed that this warning only appears when I put the TextFields inside a ScrollView, but the delay is still there though, even if I don't put them into a ScrollView.

Same here (during long press).

iPad Pro. iPadOS 17.0.1. Xcode 15.2.

[SystemGestureGate] <0x15b116870> Gesture: System gesture gate timed out.
struct ContentView: View {
    @State var phoneNumber:String = ""
    var body: some View {

VStack {
            Image(systemName: "globe")
                .imageScale(.large)
                .foregroundStyle(.tint)
            Text("Hello, world!")
            TextField("input",text: $phoneNumber)
                .font(.title3)
                .foregroundColor(Color.blue)
                .frame(maxWidth: .infinity)

// <0x105105aa0> Gesture: System gesture gate timed out.

.keyboardType(.numberPad)
                .padding()
        }
        .padding()
    }
}
  • Same here (also occurs during a long press.) iPhone 15 Pro, Xcode 15.2

<0x1069096b0> Gesture: System gesture gate timed out.

Add a Comment