iOS Simulators not listed as Run Destinations (Xcode 14.3)

For all my iOS projects only simulators running iOS 16.4 are listed as Run Destinations ... although I've installed the iOS 13 simulator and corresponding entries are listed under "Devices & Simulators". I've toggled "Show run destination" from "Automatic" to "Always" with no avail. Deployment target is e.g. iOS 13, and I'm running Xcode Version 14.3 (14E222b) on a 14" MBP with Apple Silicon.

As a current bypass I'm booting up the simulator manually and install apps by "xcrun simctl install booted APP.app" to allow some basic testing, but that's no sustainable solution.

Any help is much appreciated! Mattes

• Same problem here - hunting for a solution.

• Did you check out the "accepted reply"? Works for me...

• Latest version of xcode does not show Show Run Destination.

So this does not work.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

It seems that simulators running iOS 13.x and some specific devices runs in "Rosetta"-mode rather than "Apple Silicon". These devices are hidden by default in the latest Xcode version on macs running with Apple Silicon.

To be able to use these run destinations in Xcode, open the Product menu -> Destination -> Destination Architectures -> Select "Show Both"..

Also note that some devices will remain hidden even after enabling this option, for those you'll have to navigate to Window -> Devices and Simulators -> Simulators and then select the device that's hidden. Then select "Always" on the "Show run destination" option.

• Awesome! I totally missed the first option in the "Products" menu ... and was wondering why enabling "Show always" for the simulators had no effect. Changed the "Product" option to show both architectures, and the - Rosetta-based - iOS 13 simulators are showing up. Thanks, you made my day!

• But there's nothing changed after the first step Product menu -> Destination -> Destination Architectures -> Select "Show Both"... still no old versions in the simulators, nothing to select for always show... So confusing...

Add a Comment

Replies

I just installed Xcode and the iOS 13.7 simulator on my Intel Mac Mini: After switching the simulator to "show always" it can be selected as a Run Destination and works. Looks like these "older" simulators are not listed on Macs running with Apple Silicon, like my 14" MBP. I'd consider this a bug...

It seems that simulators running iOS 13.x and some specific devices runs in "Rosetta"-mode rather than "Apple Silicon". These devices are hidden by default in the latest Xcode version on macs running with Apple Silicon.

To be able to use these run destinations in Xcode, open the Product menu -> Destination -> Destination Architectures -> Select "Show Both"..

Also note that some devices will remain hidden even after enabling this option, for those you'll have to navigate to Window -> Devices and Simulators -> Simulators and then select the device that's hidden. Then select "Always" on the "Show run destination" option.

• Awesome! I totally missed the first option in the "Products" menu ... and was wondering why enabling "Show always" for the simulators had no effect. Changed the "Product" option to show both architectures, and the - Rosetta-based - iOS 13 simulators are showing up. Thanks, you made my day!

• But there's nothing changed after the first step Product menu -> Destination -> Destination Architectures -> Select "Show Both"... still no old versions in the simulators, nothing to select for always show... So confusing...

Add a Comment

In xocde 14.3.1, I solved this way, (my mac is not M1 chip): 1 click your project name 2 on the window pops up, the default selection is project, but there is a targets below, select the name of your project 3 on the right screen pops, there is a supported destination, click the '+' button and select the iphone 4 look at the top bar YOUR_POJECT_NAME>SOMETHING, click the SOMETHING, see if the iphone shows up, if so, select that, you are done 5 if no iphone simulator shows up, select the Mange Run Destinations, default is the devices, but select the simulators, click the "+" at the bottom, ignore the '+' in the right 6 It may download something depend on your computer. Then select the simulator you want and set "show run destination" as "always" 7 back to the top bar, see if it shows the iphone simulator, select that, then you should be done.

• I was missing the + button in the Devices&Simulators dialog. Thanks a lot

Add a Comment