Two provisioning profile with same type and same app identifier

We have an app that is already in the App Store. Currently I have passed it from bare to managed using expo go. To finalize the IOS settings, I have to upload the distribution certificate as well as the distribution provisioning profile. Problem : the provisioning profile linked to this appId has expired a while ago and it can't be downloaded any longer nor uploaded to expo dashboard. I've thought of creating a new one, which will be identical (except for the name). Is there any counter-indications to having two provisioning profiles linked to the same app bundle identifier and with the same distribution type (appStore) ? If I create a new provisioning profile, will the app in store and currently installed on my user's devices still be linked to the former (the expired one) ? Thanks a lot for any clarifications, I am a bit lost as to what should not be tampered with once the app is already in store.

If your existing provisioning profile has expired then it’s standard practice to create a new profile with the same type and App ID. That’s exactly how you continue to work with your app.

If I create a new provisioning profile, will the app in store and currently installed on my user's devices still be linked to the former (the expired one)?

That’s not a problem, but not for that reason. Rather, App Store apps don’t have provisioning profiles at all. That’s because the App Store re-signs your app as part of its distribution process. I specifically called this out in TN3125 Inside Code Signing: Provisioning Profiles. And if you’re curious about what provisioning profiles actually do, that technote makes for a good read in general.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Two provisioning profile with same type and same app identifier

Q