Login Item failing to launch with SMAppService. Error: 78, LastExitStatus: 19968

I'm having some trouble getting a Login Item to launch at all.

Both the main App and the Login Item are Sandboxed. I'm launching the Login Item with the following call:

try SMAppService.loginItem(identifier: agentBundleID).register()

The call does not fail in any way, and the subsequent status of the login item is "registered", but the login item does not launch.

Then I do:

-> launchctl list | grep myapp                                                                                
-	78	teamid.com.myorg.myapp.agent.debug

and

-> launchctl error 78
78: Function not implemented

and

-> launchctl list teamid.com.myorg.myapp.agent.debug
{
	"EnableTransactions" = true;
	"LimitLoadToSessionType" = "Aqua";
	"MachServices" = {
		"teamid.com.myorg.myapp.agent.debug" = mach-port-object;
	};
	"Label" = "teamid.com.myorg.myapp.agent.debug";
	"OnDemand" = true;
	"LastExitStatus" = 19968;
	"Program" = "teamid.com.myorg.myapp.agent.debug";
};

The LastExitStatus 19968 doesn't tell me a lot. Just that launch services probably is not being able to find my login item for some reason.

Is there anything I can do to try and narrow this down to something I can fix?

I have a different target for our DeveloperID App and Agent (same code different targets), and that combination works just fine. The plist produced is very similar.

See this thread.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I managed to resolve my issue to the point where I can at least debug the app. I'm not sure yet if my solution resolves the issue for good, but it's good enough for being able to test.

It was indeed a weird caching issue by macOS.

I'll document it here in hopes that it may help others resolve this issue in the future.

We're developing an app that uses a different target / bundle ID for the developer ID build and the App Store one. Additionally the same applies to the Login Item we're launching, where the same login item has a developer ID target and an App Store target with different bundle IDs.

What caused this issue in the first place?

I believe the trigger for this issue was that when I set up the developer ID build of our App, I added the wrong login item. This caused in our developer ID app being associated with the App Store login item in launchctl.

I changed the agent after realizing the mistake but the App Store Agent would never launch.

How I debugged this

I initially focused on checking the parent app / login item association that you can see by calling:

sfltool dumpbtm

The association returned by that tool was correct, and nothing in it seemed off.

I tried resetting it through sfltool resetbtm, but that didn't work at all.

At some point I started diving deeper into launchctl, and used this command to get a very detailed state report:

launchctl dumpstate > out.txt

And when looking for my agent's bundle ID I realized that launchctl was showing a different association with the wrong parent bundle ID.

The snippet looked more or less like so:

gui/userid/teamid.my.agent.bundle.id = {
	active count = 0
	path = (submitted by smd.299)
	type = Submitted
	state = spawn scheduled

program identifier = teamid.my.agent.bundle.id  (mode: 1)
	parent bundle identifier = developer.id.bundle.id.instead.of.app.store.bundle.id

Resolution:

Once realizing that association was off... I looked at this file:

/var/db/com.apple.xpc.launchd/loginitems.userid.plist

It contains an association between login items and parent bundle IDs.

I manually edited the file to correct parent app bundle ID. Cleaned everything, rebooted, et voila!

Hope it helps.

Login Item failing to launch with SMAppService. Error: 78, LastExitStatus: 19968

Q