In App Purchase Refund Issues

Hello,

I m an iOS developer and have a few questions about refund process of auto-renewable subscriptions.

Our clients can make in-app purchase in our application. Normally, we validate the subscriptions on their expiration date by using api. In that way we are able to learn a subscription has been renewed or not.

Apple offers refund for the unsatisfied customers as well. We should handle this process as well to have regular payment transactions in our system. When I researched about refund process, I could not get enough information to adapt to our system. I only saw that you allow refund up to 90 days after purchase. Can you please answer my questions ?

1) Is refund only allowed for the first subscription ? Consider a monthly auto-renewable subscription, after a customer renewed his subscription (on the second month) can he make a refund request ? How does this 90 days restriction work for auto renewable subscriptions ?

2) For now, we only validate the subscriptions whose expiration date has passed. We try to optimize the system for the refund process. We are aware that we should look for the cancellation_date field on the response when a subscription is validated. But, do we have to validate daily all the subscriptions purchased in 90 days ? It has a big overhead to system. Is there any tips to filter the subscriptions to validate for refund process ?

Thanks,

Onur

Replies

I am not aware of the "90 days" timeperiod.

In the EU there is some law that requires a refund 'no questions asked' within 15 days. So if you want, you could check the subscription after the first 15 days.

After that EU 15 day period, and immediately elsewhere in the world, the user has to explain to Apple why the IAP is not what they expect to get a refund/cancellation. Such cancellations are rare; you can ignore them unless it costs you alot to provide an IAP to those few dishonest users who will use the IAP after demanding a refund.

Hey!

Did you receive an answer on this one? we are also having issues.

Thanks