NSURLSession from NEPacketTunnelProvider goes back thru itself and fails

Recently, we've started seeing NSURLSession requested by the NEPacketTunnelProvider itself failing on iOS 16.2. Specifically, we're seeing this error:

Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1009 "The Internet connection appears to be offline." UserInfo={_kCFStreamErrorCodeKey=50, NSUnderlyingError=0x10b944130 {Error Domain=kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork Code=-1009 "(null)" UserInfo={_NSURLErrorNWPathKey=unsatisfied (No network route), interface: utun29, scoped, _kCFStreamErrorCodeKey=50, _kCFStreamErrorDomainKey=1}}, _NSURLErrorFailingURLSessionTaskErrorKey=LocalDataTask <7D0450F9-2229-459E-9A6E-DFD5C0D7D325>.<1>, _NSURLErrorRelatedURLSessionTaskErrorKey=(
    "LocalDataTask <7D0450F9-2229-459E-9A6E-DFD5C0D7D325>.<1>"
), NSLocalizedDescription=The Internet connection appears to be offline., NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https:/..., NSErrorFailingURLKey=https:/..., _kCFStreamErrorDomainKey=1}

When we analyzed this, we can see the NE's NSURLSession actually "loopback" thru the NE (e.g. we see the SYN and subsequent ClientHello packets come in right after issuing the NSURLSession for the destination IP), which appears to be a change in behavior since:

This wouldn't be a problem except that these NE's NSURLSessions are now failing on iOS 16. We see two different behaviors for these failed NSURLSessions:

1. NE receives the SYN/ClientHello packets and sends them thru to the server, but the NSURLSession fails after a few secs with Code=-1009.
  2. NE doesn't receive any packets from its NSURLSession, which fails immediately with Code=-1009.

Could there be something we're doing that can cause the "loopback" of our NE's NSURLSessions?

If not, has anyone else reported a similar issue with iOS 16?

Replies

Could there be something we're doing that can cause the "loopback" of our NE's NSURLSessions?

No. NSURLSession does not give you that level of control.

If not, has anyone else reported a similar issue with iOS 16?

I’ve not seen report of this before, but it’s a relatively unusual case so it’s possible that I might’ve missed it.

Regardless, I think this is eminently bugworthy. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"