Can I store files on the 'Lightning to USB Camera Adapter' from my Swift app when I put a USB Thumb drive in it?

Hi,

I am writing an app for iPhone and iPad that requires to write text files to a USB thumb Drive and an SD Card.

I notice Apple sells a Lightning to USB Camera adapter. If I stick a USB Thumb drive in that Lightning to USB Camera adapter, will I ba able to write a file on that file system? It would be fine if I have to do that via the 'Share sheet', but it would be even better if I can select the file system myself and write to that.

When I view the product online, I see the following on the product page: "After you connect the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, your iPad or iPhone automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose which photos and videos to import, then organizes them into albums."

So ... will I (as a developer) be able to access the USB file system, or is it reserved for the Photos app??

Will I have to use the 'External Accessory framework' or is that only for writing software that connects to proprietary hardware connected to the port?

Same question for the Apple USB-C to USB adapter (for iPads)

Same question for the Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera adapter

Same question for the Apple USB-C to SD Card reader

Thanks very much!!

Kind regards, Wouter Wessels

Replies

Found some hints here: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/719/

Seems to be possible!