WCSession not reachable despite active WKExtendedRuntimeSession

Hello.

I'm developing an app that necessitates the Watch counterpart being available for Watch Connectivity live messages for periods of time, even when the screen is turned off.

So what I did, is set up a WKExtendedRuntimeSession. I tried both "Self Care" and "Mindfulness" types, as those are supposed to keep the app running in foreground. WKExtendedRuntimeSessionDelegate.extendedRuntimeSessionDidStart confirms the session has started.

According to documentation on WCSession.isReachable the Watch app should now be reachable, as long as the user doesn't close it:

WatchKit extension. The iOS device is within range, so communication can occur and the WatchKit extension is running in the foreground, or is running with a high priority in the background (for example, during a workout session or when a complication is loading its initial timeline data).

Still, as soon as I turn my wrist away, isReachable flips to false and messages aren't delivered.

Any clues on this?

Thanks!

Mindfulness and Self-Care are not background running, so I would not expect isReachable to be true unless the screen is on. I also wouldn't expect these sessions to be used for apps that are not offering Self-Care or Mindfulness features.

WCSession not reachable despite active WKExtendedRuntimeSession

Q