NEFilterControlProvider network extensions not working from iOS 16.1

Hi,

We use the NEFilterControlProvider and NEFilterDataProvider network extension in our product to do content filtering and blocking certain websites loaded on browsers.

From iOS 16.1 we are observing that the extensions are not getting any browser flow objects.

We tested on iOS 15.5, 15.7, 16.0 as well and it is working on these versions.

Is this a known regression wrt Control Filter network extension in iOS 16.1 onwards. If yes, do we have an ETA on when this will be patched?

Is this a known regression wrt Control Filter network extension in iOS 16.1 onwards.

I’ve seen one other report kinda like this, but I haven’t yet determined whether this is a problem with iOS or with the developer’s code.

From iOS 16.1 we are observing that the extensions are not getting any browser flow objects.

To be clear:

• You set filterBrowsers and filterSockets.

• On older systems, your data filter provider is called with a mix of browser (NEFilterBrowserFlow) and socket (NEFilterSocketFlow) flows.

• On iOS 16.1, it’s only called with socket (NEFilterSocketFlow) flows.

Is that right?

If so, do connections created by Safari come through as socket flows? Or are they completely MIA?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

As of now, we set only filterBrowsers. Expectation is to get the Browser flow traffic coming from the webkit based traffic, as our use case involves inspecting full URLs from browser traffic only.

For testing purpose, we enabled filterSockets as well, and it seems that we are getting the Socket flow traffic. But the browser flow traffic, which is what our product depends upon is missing in action from iOS 16.1. We have logged a feedback assistant bug here:

Previously, on iOS 16.0, we were testing this flow in the new feature of Per app control filter for managed devices and had observed the same issue.

It seems from iOS 16.1 the same issue started occuring on the device wide control filter extensions as well. Is this a regression or is Apple removing browser flow support from control filter extensions?

We have logged a feedback assistant bug here:

Please post that bug number.

is Apple removing browser flow support from control filter extensions?

We are not.

Share and Enjoy

Please post that bug number.

Someone asked about this in a DTS tech support incident so I had cause to dig into it a bit.

It seem that this is Just A Bug™. The bug (r. 100696936) was introduced in iOS 16.1. As per standard Apple policy I can’t say anything about when we’ll ship a fix, other than to confirm that the fix is not the iOS 16.2 RC (20C65) build that we’re currently seeding.

Share and Enjoy

Hi Eskimo.

Is this issue going to be fixed for IOS 16.3 ?

My understanding is that the fix is in the iOS 16.3b2 (20D5035i) build that we’re currently seeding. Please try it out and let me know how you get along.

Share and Enjoy

NEFilterControlProvider network extensions not working from iOS 16.1

Q