New HomeKit devices won't connect to Wifi. Confirmed with Eero the devices are sending a bad password

Hi,

I have a network with 20+ HomeKit devices and I am very familiar with the technical details here.

I have three different brands of SmartPlugs that I cannot get to setup and connect to my Eero network. (WeMo, Meross, TP Link). All are failing to join the network.

I spoke with Eero, and they confirmed that all of the devices are attempting to join but sending a bad password.

It appears that Apple is passing off a bad password to these devices during the HomeKit setup process, and they never are able to join the Network.

I am currently running iOS 16.1.1. I'm about to update to a beta to see if there is any difference there.

The Wifi password do not contain any special characters.

Does anyone have anymore troubleshooting insight here?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of kcharwood Down vote post of kcharwood
1.5k views
  • I am having similar issues. I have had several devices running on my Eero network for several years. All of a sudden my meross plugs are offline and unable to be re-added. I bought a new brand to try and they are having the same issue. When I try to add them using the photo scan it just times out and eventually says it can't add the accessory.

• I’m having the same issues.

Add a Comment

Replies

I am also having issues adding new devices to homekit. Running Eero and 16.1.1 iOS. I am able to add devices directly to their associated apps but anytime I go to add to homekit it just times out without adding. All iPhones/Ipads/MACs/AppleTVs are up to date. Note: After it times out and I try again, Homekit says it is already added... but it isn't there.

Try to turn off the HomeKit secure settings in the Eero settings - this caused the issue mostly

I am having the same issue. I can not connect any devices such as a Logitech Circle View Doorbell or Kasa HomeKit smart plugs. It seems any device that needs to be added directly through HomeKit populates the same issue. I have 2 Eero Pro 6’s that had all the devices at one point connected but over the past week all of them will not reconnect. Eero states they are seeing the attempts to connect with the wrong password but HomeKit does not allow me to enter the password manually. I have tried with HomeKit security on/off as well as removing Eero from HomeKit. None of the solutions have worked as well as having Eero use the out older software on the device. This seems like HomeKit might have a bad handshake with the new update. Apple please check this out to get it corrected in IOS 16.2 or 16.1.3.