Does the Call Directory app extension work with SIM / eSIM calls or only VoIP app calls?

Hi,

Can I create a Call Directory app extension to block incoming calls to a SIM or eSIM call, e.g. to your mobile number, not inbound to a VoIP app?

I presume because it's part of CallKit, that it has to be part of a 3rd party VoIP app?

Thanks.

• It's the opposite to what you are assuming. If you register a number with CallKit then make a regular call to the handset, then the number will be either blocked or display additional information on the call screen (depending upon if you used CallKit to block or identify the number). However if you make a VoiP call then it is neither blocked nor identified.

• Hi Mungobeans,

Thanks for your reply. I missed it, apologies.

Ah, so this is core to mobile calls, not VoIP. That's what I was hoping. Can you register some kind of callback to dynamically query a number to check if it's a known spammer or phishing number on an OUTBOUND call?

Thanks.

Add a Comment

Replies

Thanks!

Can I do a lookup dynamically on an outbound call via some callback to add a number to that list? For checking if a number is spam or phishing?

• I don't really understand what you are asking. There's no ability to search the numbers that are registered within the call extension, but as it would have been your app that added them in the first place you would know what you added. The call extension is only for use with blocking/identifying inbound calls.

Your understanding of it sounds a bit confused based on your questions

• That's the issue, the documentation isn't too clear on what hooks you can get some the main system. Like this https://developer.android.com/reference/android/telecom/CallRedirectionService

You are hooking into the main outbound phone call flow to make a decision if the call is allowed or not. I want to query a web API with the number dialled to see if it's a bad number. I could add all these bad numbers to the device, but that might be a lot of data.

Add a Comment