How to access the Action Button on the Apple Watch Ultra

I'm very exciting about the Apple Watch Ultra, and I'd like to build in support for the action button in my app. There seems to be no information available, any idea how to do this?

Accepted Reply

Documentation should be available soon! If your app is a workout app, you'll be able to use the AppIntents API to start a workout and offer subsequent actions as well.

• Great, thanks a lot! Yes, my app is a workout app, so I’ll keep an eye out on the documentation

• Any news on when the documentation will be available? I managed to get something working from unofficial blogs and tweets, but that has been broken in watchOS 9.1 for some users.

Also, the action button doesn't seem to be detected when a workout is paused (unless it was paused by the button).

And is there a way to detect when both the action button and the side button are pressed at once? This is supposed to act like a pause but seems to do the same as pressing the action button alone.

• Is there anything official out yet? @cfc could you for the time being point me to some good articles about it?

Add a Comment

Replies

Documentation should be available soon! If your app is a workout app, you'll be able to use the AppIntents API to start a workout and offer subsequent actions as well.

• Great, thanks a lot! Yes, my app is a workout app, so I’ll keep an eye out on the documentation

• Any news on when the documentation will be available? I managed to get something working from unofficial blogs and tweets, but that has been broken in watchOS 9.1 for some users.

Also, the action button doesn't seem to be detected when a workout is paused (unless it was paused by the button).

And is there a way to detect when both the action button and the side button are pressed at once? This is supposed to act like a pause but seems to do the same as pressing the action button alone.

• Is there anything official out yet? @cfc could you for the time being point me to some good articles about it?

Add a Comment

Any update on this documentation? I have seen a change in the HIG that mentioned it but nothing in the developer documentation.

Also, as the AppIntents API is Swift only, how would I use the button with an app written in Objective C? Thanks.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of cfc Down vote reply of cfc
  • I have exactly the same question! Have you found an answer yet?

• Not yet. I am still hoping that the documentation will help when it is published.

Add a Comment

Yes ! And it's working perfectly !