App showing unidentified developer under General - Login Items Added - Allow in the Background

In macOS 13 Ventura, as soon as mac apps gets installed from packages, it shows two alerts (Login Items Added) one as "Unknown Developer" and other as with proper developer name. On click of alerts, it opens System Preferences and navigates to General -> Login Items. It lists our apps under "Allow in the Background", one with "unidentified developer" and other with proper developer name. We followed all steps required with all apps. So why one app showing as "unidentified developer" and other with proper developer name? Also app with correct developer name, missing with its app icon.

Replies

Hi,

We also face the same issue. Our executables are signed and timestamped. The packages is passed notarization as well. Still it is shown as "unidentified developer". Any help is greatly appreciated.

One more annoying thing is, on every reboot, this notification comes.

regards

• Has anyone found a solution to this issue? Suspenseful and irritating...

Add a Comment

Updated to Ventura 13.1 and there's a popup for an object "open" and unknown developer. For all I know this is an Apple file.

The file is  /usr/bin/open 

• Yeah, I got the same notification concerning the "open" object, I would also like to know if this Background Item is safe to allow.

• I was directed here by Apple Support. Using 13.2 and received a Notification for 'open', a file from an unidentified developer, that was 'Allowed in Background.'

I ungraded to 13.2.1 and the 'open' executable has been removed from 'Allowed in background'.

The files in /usr/bin had their Modified Date changed from Jan 14 00:57 to Feb 9 09:23.

I am reasonably confident this is all to do with Apple but very concerned as to why macOS should suddenly decide to raise a Notification about this file.

Add a Comment

Same for me, updated to Ventura 13.2.1 this morning and had a recovery message asking for password, then multiple reboots and once the system rebooted correctly I had this message poping up with /usr/bin/open running in the background and from an unknown source :( Can someone explain?

There’s a bunch of different folks posting on this thread, where the problems are related but not exactly the same. Lemme start with the user-level stuff. DevForums is focused on code-level issues. If you’re experiencing a user-level problem — that is, you’re seeing problems with code that you didn’t write — my advice is that you either contact the vendor or raise this over an Apple Support Communities, run by Apple Support.

With that noted, let’s get back to code-level issues. Since macOS 13 was introduced I’ve been slowly gaining experiencing in the underlying causes of these problems. There are three that I’m aware of:

• Code that’s not properly signed and notarised

• launchd jobs (daemons and agents) that aren’t connected to their parent app

• launchd jobs installed by an installer package

The solution to the first one should be obvious (-:

The solution to the second is to add the AssociatedBundleIdentifiers to your launchd property list. See the launchd.plist man page for details.

The installer package one is ‘fun’. Someone recently opened a DTS tech support incident about this. I think I found a reasonable workaround but I need to do further research before talking about it publicly. There’s a specific DevForums thread for this, namely Legacy LaunchAgents installed via PKG, and I’ll try to remember to update it when I’m done.

If none of the above applies to you, I encourage you start a new thread with the details. Tag it with Service Management so that I see it. Feel free to post a link to your new thread here so that folks can follow along.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"