How to Fetch SunEvents?

Hello, I'm quite new to SwiftUI Development, learned how to code without getting a Compute Science college Degree. Please advise how do I fetch SunEvents?

private func showWeatherInformation(latitude: Double, longtitude: Double) async {

let weatherService = WeatherService()

let journalingWeather = CLLocation(latitude: latitude, longitude: longtitude)

do {

let weather = try await weatherService.weather(for: journalingWeather)

let temperature = weather.currentWeather.temperature.value.description

let humidity = weather.currentWeather.humidity.formatted(.percent).description

let weatherDesc = weather.currentWeather.condition.description

let weatherIcon = weather.currentWeather.symbolName.description

let feltLikeTemp = weather.currentWeather.apparentTemperature.value.description

let pressure = weather.currentWeather.pressure.value.description

let dewPoint = weather.currentWeather.dewPoint.value.description

let uvIndex = weather.currentWeather.uvIndex.value.description

let visibility = round(weather.currentWeather.visibility.value).description

let windSpeed = weather.currentWeather.wind.speed.value.description

let compass = weather.currentWeather.wind.direction.value.description

/// What to decode?

let sunEvents = try SunEvents(from: journalingWeather as! Decoder)

let sunrise = sunEvents.sunrise ?? Date.now

let sunset = sunEvents.sunset ?? Date.now

self.temperatureInput = temperature

self.weatherDescriptionInput = weatherDesc

self.weatherIconInput = weatherIcon

self.feltLikeTemperatureInput = feltLikeTemp

self.pressureInput = pressure

self.humidityInput = humidity

self.dewPointInput = dewPoint

self.uvIndexInput = uvIndex

self.visibilityInput = visibility

self.windSpeedInput = windSpeed

self.windDegreeInput = compass

self.sunriseTimeInput = sunrise

self.sunsetTimeInput = sunset

} catch {

print("\(error)")

}

}

I'm getting this error Thread 1: signal SIGABRT at let sunEvents = try SunEvents(from: journalingWeather as! Decoder) when I run it on actual device.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Answered by Engineer in 724865022

Hi @kaviraja,

The weather you get back from weatherService.weather(for:) is of type Weather. Here are the docs: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/weatherkit/weather. You're accessing currentWeather, which is of CurrentWeather type (see docs), but SunEvents is only returned from DayWeather (see docs), which you can find via weather.dailyForecast[0].sun.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the reply @Jineshsethia, I'm only fetching the current date sunEvents and the latitude and longitude details are available in let journalingWeather = CLLocation(latitude: latitude, longitude: longtitude). Could you advise how to use the decoder?

Accepted Answer

Hi @kaviraja,

The weather you get back from weatherService.weather(for:) is of type Weather. Here are the docs: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/weatherkit/weather. You're accessing currentWeather, which is of CurrentWeather type (see docs), but SunEvents is only returned from DayWeather (see docs), which you can find via weather.dailyForecast[0].sun.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much! Ya, it works now!

How to Fetch SunEvents?

Q