How is SWCollaborationView supposed to be used in new documents (iCloud Drive)?

The Mac app I’m working on stores documents in iCloud Drive. Showing an SWCollaborationView in the toolbar works when creating an NSItemProvider using the document’s fileURL like this:

if let documentURL = document.fileURL {
    toolbarItem.view = SWCollaborationView(itemProvider: NSItemProvider(object: documentURL))
}

This only works if a document was previously saved to disk and is then opened, though, because a new, unsaved document doesn’t have a fileURL yet. So this means I can’t show an SWCollaborationView for unsaved documents. What I don’t quite understand is what we are supposed to do in this situation.

The current version of Pages (which doesn’t use SWCollaborationView yet, of course) seems to show a button for collaboration for new documents and when you click that, the document is saved to iCloud without user interaction before the popover opens. How would I go about doing this in my app?

And here’s also a bonus question: Do I have to handle renaming/moving of the document manually? That is, does SWCollaborationView automatically handle the case where the document is renamed in Finder/Files? I’m curious because the SWCollaborationView references an NSItemProvider which in turn references an NSURL and it’s not clear to me if that should work. And if I have to do it manually: Does this mean I’ll have to create a new SWCollaborationView and set it on my toolbar item?