New running metrics (runningPower, runningSpeed) not working in watchOS 9 beta 2

I'm using watchOS 9 beta 2 and I'm not getting the new running metrics in my workout app.

• Using HKLiveWorkoutDataSource attached to a HKWorkoutBuilder
  • ActivityType is running
  • Tried enabling the collection of the new metrics

According to Jorge M in the WWDC labs:

"Yes, the new running metrics are also available for 3rd party applications. If you are using an HKLiveWorkoutDataSource attached to a HKWorkoutBuilder in your application, the new metrics would be collected by default."

The Health app does not show any Related Samples for these types. Am I doing something wrong or are they not available yet to 3rd party workouts? I do see them for the Apple Workout app.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of jbailey Down vote post of jbailey
1.3k views

Replies

The metrics are collected for outdoor (and not indoor) running workouts and only on SE/Series 6 or later. If you're trying that config and it's not working, please file a feedback at feedback.apple.com with a sample project.

• Thanks for the additional information. It was an outdoor run with a series 6 watch.

Are the metrics collected by default and added to the workout or do I need to enabled them (I've tried both)?My min deployment target is 6.1. Does that matter?

Thanks, Jeff

• They should be collected by default. Just to be clear, you set the HkWorkoutConfiguration.locationType to outdoor? You can check what data types are collected by looking at HKLiveWorkoutDataSource.typesToCollect and also adding types to it. If everything looks right, please file a Feedback

• I'm facing the same issue. I'm using the HKLiveWorkoutDataSource to collect all running metrics but none of the new running metrics like runningPower, runningSpeed are been shown on the Fitness App after I complete a workout

Add a Comment

@jbailey Did you manage to get this working on WatchOS9? We've just been testing and can't get any runningSpeed metrics when running on Series 4 and Series 7

• They're not available on Series 4. They should be available on Series 7. Have you requested and granted authorization for Running Speed data type?

• Also make sure you're doing an outdoor running workout. The metrics are not available for indoor runs.

• Yes, the new running metrics are working great for me. You need a watch series 6 or later (or SE). Make sure you ask for permission for the new types and your using HKLiveWorkoutBuilder. I'm calling enableCollection on the HKLiveWorkoutDataSource, but I don't believe that is necessary.