Is it possible to be notified in background when phone joines/leaves specific Wifi network?

Hello!

We have a time reporting app of sorts, where one functionality we have is that users can turn on to check in and out from work via geofencing - i.e. they select a location when they want to start and end a work period. This works great.

We have had clients asking for some time to be able to use a wifi network to do the same thing. I.e. check in to work when they join a specific wifi network and checkout when they leave it. So, this is something they will want to use, and will turn on themselves if they want to use it.

I have found NWPathMonitor and this thread: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/685255

that kind of asks the same thing, but it references specifying why i need it - so i did that above, hoping that someone knows whether i could accomplish this.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

Is it possible to be notified in background when phone joines/leaves specific Wifi network?

No.

We have had clients asking for some time to be able to use a wifi network to do the same thing.

Have you look at using Shortcuts automation for this? The user can set up a Wi-Fi automation to run an action when you join a specific Wi-Fi network. If your app exported an action to start a work period, the user could add that to their automation and achieve their goal.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Hey Quinn, super sorry for late response, but thank you for responding :) (i missed it)

The tip about shortcuts is good however i worry, i'm sorry, that getting our regular users to go in to Shortcuts and fiddle in the app will be hard. Many are not very tech savvy.

Ah well, too bad.