iPadOS 16 Stage Manager, single app, across iPad and external screens?

Regarding Stage Manager on iPadOS, I am hoping for the possibility of spreading the content of one app across the iPad screen AND the external screen. This would enable me to have a single running process, with part of the content on an Apple Pencil/multitouch screen, and the other part on a large monitor.

However, it looks like app windows are restricted to one screen at a time.

Alternatively, it would be good if one app could have multiple windows as macOS does, so I could have shared state across all the windows.

To anyone's knowledge, are either of these scenarios planned, or are they completely out-of-scope?

Thanks.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of KTRosenberg Down vote post of KTRosenberg
1.4k views

Replies

This might not be what you want. An app which supports the iOS 13+ scene lifecycle and has support for an external display will show a full-screen non-interactive view controller on an external display. When run on iPadOS 16, if the main app window is on the internal display then the legacy non-interactive view will be shown on the external display. In fact, frustratingly, there seems to be no way to NOT have this happen (which would be desirable for apps which want to keep supporting the old external display behaviour prior to iPadOS 16 but not use it on iPadOS 16).

• @hacknicity I think what I want is to have two interactive windows corresponding to the same application process, so, for example, I could use Metal to render to two surfaces per-frame. --yet maybe this is not possible?

Add a Comment