L2TP VPN broken on MacOS 13/Ventura

Dove in and upgraded two Macs today to beta 1. Unfortunately, it appears L2TP VPN is broken or something changed in the way it works. I can longer get a connection to any VPN concentrator I used previously. I tested with Cisco Anyconnect SSL VPN client and can connect to the same concentrators (as they're configured to accept L2TP or SSL clients).

I also tested from my phone running iOS 16 beta and it still works for the L2TP connections.

The Mac not working with L2TP VPN ppp.log shows this

Fri Jun 10 19:18:52 2022 : L2TP connecting to server 'IP removed' (IP removed)... Fri Jun 10 19:18:52 2022 : IPSec connection started Fri Jun 10 19:18:52 2022 : IPSec phase 1 client started Fri Jun 10 19:19:02 2022 : IPSec connection failed

Connecting a Mac successfully on 12.4 the log shows

Fri Jun 10 19:12:33 2022 : L2TP connecting to server 'IP removed' (IP removed)... Fri Jun 10 19:12:33 2022 : IPSec connection started Fri Jun 10 19:12:33 2022 : IPSec phase 1 client started Fri Jun 10 19:12:33 2022 : IPSec phase 1 server replied Fri Jun 10 19:12:34 2022 : IPSec phase 2 started Fri Jun 10 19:12:34 2022 : IPSec phase 2 established Fri Jun 10 19:12:34 2022 : IPSec connection established (and then a ton more lines of the entire process ending with client getting an IP that I won't bother posting)

VPN wasn't high on my list of apps I was concerned about breaking with the beta. But, now that it is broke and I need it for work I'm kinda screwed myself.

Anyway, if anyone knows a way to fix this please let me know.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of rymiles Down vote post of rymiles
28k views
  • Did anyone find a way to resolve this issue. The thread has gone quiet. I am able to connect perfectly using 10.13.6 but not using 13.3 I have tried all the suggestions above without any luck.

Add a Comment

Replies

Same here. After upgrade to Ventura 13.1 I can't use my GlobalProtect VPN client.

I had to remove and newly add the VPN connection in the MacOS settings. After that with the 2nd try to connect it works. Mysterious. (Cisco IPsec to a Lancom Router)

I can't use my GlobalProtect VPN client. Ventura 13.1

Ventura 13.1 L2TP IPSec break each 5 minutes with "No buffer space available", after that only disconnect and connect helps.

Running Ventura 13.2 now. The Apple Configurator method mentioned by @utahtrust and @jacobkward worked perfectly for connecting to my company VPN. Before, every time I tried to create a VPN config in the System Settings->Network tab, when I clicked Create after entering the config, the dialog disappeared and I still could not see my VPN connection. I checked Private Relay in my iCloud settings, and it was already disabled. So I tried using Configurator to create the VPN config, and followed the steps mentioned by @jacobkward and it worked perfectly on the first try. Thanks guys!

Ventura 13.2.1, VPN (any protocol) is simply unusable as it dies randomly and only manual reconnection helps. It's beyond frustrating, I cannot use any of my VPN providers on ANY connection!

More details:

https://openradar.appspot.com/radar?id=5614432642138112

Not working for me either. Vpn crashes when uploading a file larger than 2.5 mb. The installation via the Apple configurator connects in the right way. But the vpn keeps crashing.

The treat is you have to set the "Send all traffic over VPN connection" to be true

• This worked for me! Thanks.

Add a Comment

Did anyone find a way to resolve this issue. The thread has gone quiet. I am able to connect perfectly using 10.13.6 but not using 13.3 I have tried all the suggestions above without any luck.

I did some tests with Ventura 13.3 and got no more disconnexions while transfering big files. I also notice that I could manually add the default search domain name in the VPN DNS configuration. Before, When I added the domain search on the DNS settings, it disapeared all the time.

Yes I worked for me, I downloaded the Apple Configurator in the App Store, there is a list and choose VPN. Put your VPN details in there and save it with CMD+S. You save that file somewhere. When you double click that saved file choose for install, and my VPN worked directly. I was unable to start the VPN it when updating to Venture and configure it manually but it works good when using the Configurator !!

• This worked for me! Thant you!!

Add a Comment

Make sure that verbose logging is turned off! This won't fix for everybody, but this was the source of my issue on Ventura

@utahtrust solution using apple configurator works i was able to finally get my VPN back up and running

L2TP-VPN stopped working today!

• Yea, with ventura 13.4 the problem occur again. This time apple configurator not even work.

Add a Comment

We resolve this with reconfigure our VPN server to OpenVPN and using external client, viscosity from sparklabs.