AppleID Login failing in virtualized OS

• +1 for this, I really need this feature, it would speed up so much testing.

• This is essential.

• +1 for this feature. I use VMs to test different developer technologies for which Store sign-in is required.

Apple Recommended

• This is a frustrating, unnecessary limitation. My use case is to isolate development environments, and I was able to do this with macOS before.

• Thank you for clarifying this. At least I now know I wasn't screwing up in my UTM VMs. I will file a feature request; I'd like to be able to use VMs for additional TestFlight testing for apps with System Extensions.

Add a Comment

Replies

@BenjaminApple This is an absolute need for me, too. I'd like to build and test "Designed for iPad" apps on macOS with Xcode. But I can only build and run them if I'm signed in to my account in Xcode. Please make this a priority. Simply supporting logging in to my account with Xcode in a VM would already go a long way. Thanks!

So I sit here with my maxed out MacBook Pro - and can develop Linux Software in a Fedora-VM, Windows Software in a Windows-VM and I am not able to connect to my developer Apple ID in a OS X VM? Apple try to guess the problem, please. You have one try. As already mentioned here, it is a no-go to pollute the host system environment with project specific software or remnants. So why use these shiny ARM notebooks anyway? All developer data is connected via the Apple ID and we cannot use it?

Wow. How many years will we have to wait for something as simple as this? Gotta love the genius catch-22 of making AppleID the be-all-end-all for the Apple ecosystem and then fail to even bother to make it work in something as simple as a VM that reportedly supports macOS (how can Paralells get away with even saying macOS VMs are supported)? This is a BASIC ask that should be on a clear roadmap, ASAP. Sadly, like so many other Applle SIlicon things, this is not ready for primetime. I now have a glorified M2 paperweight on my desk not suitable for any adult work situations in the real world. This is what happens when you iOS-ify a formerly robust operating system I guess?

Came here just to comment on this because I find it unbelievable that nobody at Apple has been able to find a way to deal with this. Even if allowing developers to create an appleid specifically for development purposes, less restricted, that does not contain any banking information etc - that can be used for downloading software from the apple store, xcode etc. Personally, I much rather use a VM for all development purposes where I can install as many IDE's as I wish along with Node.js, modules etc and keep the main host OS clean. This way I can then just backup one file - my entire development environment, move it to new hardware, create snapshots(when available) etc with endless possibilities. Please find a solution to this with priority !

Yea, it's truly insane I can't download my own app from the Mac App Store so I can test it properly!

• Totally regretting having bought a M1 mac with these virtualization issues!

Add a Comment

I just found the thread after hitting the same issue. Was quite surprised, as macOS without iCloud is very limited... many reasons as given above.

Another +1, this limitation makes Macs with Apple Silicon less useful than Macs with Intel for a number of important testing scenarios. Being unable to download apps from the Mac App Store in a VM is a dealbreaker for a number of use cases.

@Benjamin My use case:

I'm running Ventura but I have a customer reporting an issue that only occurs on Monterey.

I need to debug the issue in Xcode.

I can't run Xcode in a Monterey VM because Xcode needs me to login to my Apple Id.

I can't run Xcode in a Monterey VM because Xcode needs me to login to my Apple Id.

You can probably get around that. Please start a new thread with more details. Specifically, I’d like know whether your distributing your product independently or via the Mac App Store.

Tag it with Debugging (at least) so that I see it.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

As per the other commenters above, the principal reason for running macOS in virtualized containers is to bypass the need to dual boot a machine to get access to a beta OS for testing software, which as a workflow is cumbersome and in reality completely impractical when also needing to be joining video conferences and conforming to corporate IT security policies.

Please provide us with a solution for logging in to the App Store / other iCloud services from macOS VMs on Apple Silicon.

I posted the above in this thread 9 months ago.

The recent removal of seedutil from macOS requiring to be logged in to an Apple account for access to developer seed beta updates to macOS has now enormously impacted our workflow for automation testing of our EndpointSecurity product.

We regularly run integration tests to exercise features of our EndpointSecurity product to validate that

1. We have not introduced regressions in to our code
  2. macOS updates (especially beta udpates) haven't changed something that results in previously unexpected behaviour

We are now in a position where we're going to have to completely rebuild our Apple Silicon based VMs used for integration testing every time a new beta build is released, this also means having to join said VM to our MDM, and handle any other manual setup tasks required (such as providing user-approval for screenrecording in PPPC so that our integration suite can capture screenshots should any integration tests fail etc)

I am enormously frustrated by this. My original request in my post above stands - please, please provide a solution for logging in to iCloud accounts in Apple Silicon based VMs.

+1, feedback sent

To reiterate, there is a pressing need to be able to install beta macOS versions for development and testing. Ideally, there would be complete integration with Xcode, allowing me to write in, say 13.4, targeting 14(b1), Run, have it launch in the 14 VM, and connect the debugger. It's the only practical way to develop for unreleased macOS versions. iOS has the simulator. But macOS has either dual-booting, or buying a second Mac. Neither is practical.

I'd be okay with it being a special VM built into Xcode, and not something that would work on Parallels, for example, although I'm sure that restricts a lot of other use cases.

@eskimo, is there a way to build my macOS app locally and then copy it over to a VM to at least try to run it?

Ideally, there would be complete integration with Xcode

That’d be so cool! Please do file an enhancement request describing your requirements, and then post your bug number, just for the record.

is there a way to build my macOS app locally and then copy it over to a VM to at least try to run it?

Yeah, I do that all the time. The big variable is the level of integration. At one extreme, there’s no supported way to just choose Build > Run in Xcode and have it run in your VM [1]. At the other extreme, you can scp your program over to the VM and then run it as the user would. And if you do this a lot, you could spend some time improving the integration. For example:

• You might use a post-build action to do the scp.

• You might install the command-line tools on the VM to allow you to run the program in the debugger.

• Or Xcode, with a dummy project, so you can debug by choosing Product > Perform Action > Run Without Building.

IMPORTANT If you do use scp, be wary of the issue described in Updating Mac Software.

The annoying snag that I most commonly hit relates to provisioning profiles. If your product requires a restricted entitlement then you need a profile to authorise that, and that means adding the VM’s provisioning UDID to your profile. With manual code signing that’s easy, but it can be a bit tricky to sort out with automatic code signing.

Now, I generally work on low-level stuff so my programs don’t relying on having an Apple ID available in and of themselves. If, for example, you’re building an app that relies on in-app purchase, that’s going to be a problem.

Oh, and this goes much better if your VM software supports snapshots, so you can test and retest from the same position each time. Such support is common in Intel VM products. For all the latest in the Apple silicon world, watch WWDC 2023 Session 10007 Create seamless experiences with Virtualization.

Share and Enjoy

[1] I’m talking about using supported techniques on production versions of Xcode. There are various unsupported techniques that can help with this. I also know it’s a commonly requested feature, so it wouldn’t surprised if future versions of Xcode offered improvements in this space.

@eskimo So are you now able to sign into your apple id or no?

So are you now able to sign into your apple id or no?

Define “now”?

If you’re talking about current released stuff, the answer is still “No.”

If you’re talking about current beta stuff, my answer is “I don’t know.” I’ll do some digging…

Share and Enjoy