Installing apk on i-phone 15.5 by Itunes

Hello,

I'm trying to install an iOS app (.ipa file) on my phone (iPhone 11 - iOS 15.5) using iTunes for PC (with Windows 10). I've connected the phone to the PC and was able to transfer the file to the phone (I can see it in File Sharing section with FileManager Documents app) but not to install it. The app is visible in the i-phone however it has cloud download icon on it and when I click it it says "The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of ios". it has only two options "keep" and "delete".

Any help to install it would be highly appriciated. Thank you!

Hello @anveshkamboj, Thank you for posting on the developer forums!

If you are able to gain access to the iPhone and a Mac computer, you would be able to open the "Console" application and read the console logs as to why the application is unable to be installed.

While I am not a Windows user, I recently saw an article that talks about how to get logs from an iPhone using a Windows machine. Below is the link to that article (as long as it does not get redacted). I cannot guarantee that this works so try at your own risk (I would suggest getting a Mac personally).

https://emm.how/t/how-to-capture-ios-console-logs-on-windows-pc-ios-11-compatible/627

However, the error message that you are receiving generally relates to a code signing error. It is hard to know the exact error without being able to confirm through the logs, ut the below Apple article talks about how to leverage the latest code signing format if you are signing the application outside of Xcode.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/using-the-latest-code-signature-format

If you are leveraging Xcode to generate the IPA file and you are leveraging a legacy version of Xcode, you may need to code sign the application AFTER your export from Xcode, install a more recent version of the Command Line Tools for use, or change the settings in the "Signing" section of the "Build Settings" for the target inside of Xcode before exporting.

Hopefully this helps and happy coding! Looking forward to any feedback!

Hello @ChuckMN Good day! Thank you very much for your answer. Unfortunatly I do not have a Mac and was looking for a solution for windows. Actually this apk is not developed by me and I just want to install it n my i-pone in order to perform some testing. Not sure if that is possible while using windows 10 and connecting i-phone to it via Itunes?

I appreciate your answer and time.

best regards Anvesh

Hey @anveshkamboj, Thanks for providing this additional information!

Hopefully the link to the EMM site above will help with capturing the logs from Windows. Apologies that I am not a Windows user and able to help, but hopefully someone else will jump in!

In order for the IPA file to be installed successfully on your iPhone, it needs to be code signed with your device UDID in the Provisioning Profile unless it is an Enterprise signed application. Do you know how the IPA file was signed? Below are the steps to figure this out if you or the developer do not know how it was signed.

Unzipping the IPA file to see its contents

unzip -d /New/Directory /Path/To/IPA.ipa

Displaying the contents of the Provisioning Profile

cat /New/Directory/Payload/*.app/embedded.mobileprovision

If you see a section in the resulting output that shows "Provisioned Devices" then the application is either Development or Ad-Hoc code signed and if you did not provide your UDID to the developer you will not be able to install without signing it yourself or with the help of the developer.

If you see a key value pair that indicates ProvisionsAllDevices, then the application is Enterprise signed, but the developer will need to update their code signature following the guide from Apple provided at the link below (same as above), or alternatively, you can sign up as a developer and go through the code signing process yourself which is a fun learning experience.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/using-the-latest-code-signature-format

One thing to note is that if you go through the code singing process yourself, it is likely that the functionality of the application may break, so you will want to check with the developer who provided the IPA file and make sure they know you are doing this and if they know of anything that would stop working.

Hopefully this helps and happy coding!

Installing apk on i-phone 15.5 by Itunes

Q