iOS 15 broke Provisional Notifications

When a user receives a provisional notification they are given an option to keep receiving notifications or stopping then. If they tap "Keep" they use to get asked if they want them to be delivered prominent or quietly.

Well, in iOS 15 (Xcode 13) my users are not getting that choice and the notifications are stuck in "delivered quietly" unless the user happens to change that in their Settings.

This defeats the purpose of provisional notifications and I have to go back to the old way which causes the user to be interrupted in the app when I have to ask permission.

I am guessing its related to the new Summary feature that recently got added by Apple.

What's going on here, Apple?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of hotngui Down vote post of hotngui
1.1k views
  • We're seeing the same issue on our app as well, and first noticed that this was broken in September 2021. The behaviour has changed slightly a few times over the last 9 months, but it's still broken: currently, provisional notifications don't appear in the Notification Centre until you interact with a notification from a different app; when they do eventually appear, tapping the 'Keep' and 'Deliver Immediately' buttons doesn't change the status in Settings, only in our app.

I've seen another report of this happening here too: https://support.airship.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/4408631827739-Problem-with-provisional-push-notifications-in-iOS#:~:text=Looks%20like%20a%20bug%20in%20iOS%2015%2C%20I%20have%20reported%20it%20to%20Apple.

Add a Comment