macOS Monterey 12.3 Bluetooth connection problems since update

Upgrade to Monterey 12.3 couple days ago on my MacBook Air 2020. Since then, my bluetooth headphones and BT mouse are lagging, randomly disconnecting and reconnecting every few minutes or so. As this has never happened before the upgrade, I thought it was quite unusual. Anybody else with similar issues or any fixes?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of grzb0 Down vote post of grzb0
19k views
  • Yep! Same issue on both my M1 MBA and an Intel Mac Mini. On the Mini, even without it going to sleep, sometime after booting up, it will lose ability to connect to HomePod or AirPods. I suspect this is also Bluetooth related. These issues definitely started happening after upgrading to 12.3. Sigh.... I honestly don't remember when was the last time I had an Apple software release without any annoying issues that affected day-to-day use! Probably 5+ years ago.

• Same problem here, magic mouse, magic keyboard, and bose headset all disconnect randomly, then reconnect. I kept bluetooth connections open to watch what happens, seen that everything out of no-where will clear out of there and come back a few moments later

• Same bug!

Replies

I have MX Master 3 and BOSE 700. I have the same issue. It discount and re connect

Same problem here, my Logitech MX Master 2S and my Logitech Keyboard K780 keep randomly disconnecting for a second (Mouse more frequently than keyboard) from my Intel MacBook Air 2020. I even tried re-installing MacOS Monterey from scratch (formatting SSD) but the problem started again from the first boot. At first I thought it was the mouse so I tried my wife's Logitech MX Anywhere 3 and encountered the same problem. I tried the MX Master 2S in a company provided laptop MBP 14" M1 Pro 2021 and until now I have not encountered any problems, yet.

I have already tried the steps described here: https://www.howtoisolve.com/bluetooth-not-working-mac-macos-reset-fixed/ to no avail

Please Apple fix this problem, it is extremely annoying.

• Well after my last post around 1 and half hour ago, and after reading al the posts in this thread, I disconnected and removed my AirPods from my MacBook Air and up until now, the mouse seems to be working fine, no randomly disconnecting, fingers crossed it will stay like that, meanwhile I will use my old wired EarBuds. Now a curious thing I noticed before disconnecting the EarPods was that the Logitech MX Master 2S Signal Level was -58dBm, and after disconnecting and removing the EarPods the signal went up to -46dBm, I do not know if this is related to the issue, but I think it was worth mentioning it.

• Since 2 hours ago I hadn't had any problems with the Logitech MX Master 2S. I just tried connecting back the EarPods and even when I had them disconnected (but still appearing on the bluetooth menu) the problem came back again, mouse started randomly disconnecting and again de bluetooth signal level went down to -58dBm.

• Installed Monterey 12.3.1, the problem keeps happening. Come on Apple!!

Add a Comment

Two Methods Left to Reset Your Bluetooth Hardware In macOS Monterey, there are two options for resetting your Bluetooth hardware. First, try the command line method. Open Applications > Utilities > Terminal, and enter this command: sudo pkill bluetoothd This will reset and restart the Bluetooth module in your Mac. Within about five minutes, sometimes less, your devices will reconnect and you can get back to work (or play.) If that fails to resolve the issue, you may have to go a step further. Open Finder, then click in the menu bar Go > Go to Folder. Type /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist and then press Return. The proper file should be highlighted, the plist file for your Bluetooth system. Drag it to the Trash, then reboot your Mac. This will force macOS to rebuild the configuration files for each of your Bluetooth devices. A Last-Ditch Effort to Resolve Lingering Issues If none of those methods help, there’s one more thing to try. You can unpair the troublesome device by clicking the x symbol next to it in System Preferences > Bluetooth. Be careful doing this, though, if it’s a keyboard or pointing device acting up. You’ll need another Bluetooth or wired keyboard or mouse to get the glitchy one connected again. Hopefully, in time, Apple will return the Bluetooth debug menu to its rightful place. If you want to encourage that return, let Apple know though the macOS feedback portal. Just tell them you want the “Reset Bluetooth Module” option back.

Have any of you try this method Apple in previous macOS had option to debug from menu appears thats no longer the case in Monterey

Monterey 12.0 installed 4 Nov 2021 - Bluetooth ceased working immediately. Every fix tried at least 3 times, several hours talking with senior Apple technical adviser, accessed my screen, checked everything associated Bluetooth, several files deleted and sent to Apple. Same error message "Preferences Error Could not load Bluetooth preference pane". Updated to 12.1, 12.2 and 12.3 but no Bluetooth. Now have cable for sound and use One Drive or thumbdrives for file transfers.

I will have to go back to BigSur when I find the time as Bluetooth worked fine with that.

5 months with no Bluetooth caused by Monterey.

My SONY WH-1000XM experienced awful lagging and stuttering sound. iMac27 2015, Logitech M720 mouse and Apple Magic Keyboard (Pre-TouchID).

It lasted for 3 minutes or so, somehow recovered when I kept on randomly selecting different tracks. Never had this issue before MacOS 12.3.1. Bluetooth has worked flawlessly for years so a little surprised this happened to me.

in console I see stopTrackingForSession: sensor tracking is not supported on this platform error being recorded, exactly "Twice every 10 seconds."

Not sure if this helps at all but just posting it anyways in case it may help. :)

After installing 12.3.1 that supposedly corrects bluetooth problems, i'm still having same issues. Logitech MX Master 3 and MX Keys, keeps disconnecting randomly, Magic Keyboard and magic mouse improved but if you connect any additional BT device (like airpods pro) it stats lagging a lot. Studio 3, didn't work at all, sony's WM..M4 works now, but i hace to switch off keyboard and mouse. Tried to kill bluetoothHD, delete PLIST file, reset SMC.. but still the same.

This weekend going back to BigSur, hope this will be corrected in the future.

I got the Bluetooth loading error on preference pane after updating macOS Monterey 12.3 and I totally lost bluetooth on my computer. What a nuisance! Have tried so many attempts to fix it by following instructions online but still being failed. I need help from who are Mac experts. Thanks and waiting for your feedbacks.

I'm having the same problem with my 2017 MacBook Air after upgrade to Monterey, 12.3.1. The worst is that my Echo Studio and Android phone no longer function with bluetooth on this device, yet continue to function with all others. Had I known this problem existed, I would have delayed the upgrade. Hope it will be resolved soon.

Same problem on my M1 Mac mini on 12.3 using a MX Master 2S mouse.

It seems to happen after the display has been off after a screensaver (for me display off after 1Hr, screensaver after 5min).

I have to Quick Search "Bluetooth", and once the Bluetooth system preference window appears, the mouse works. Weird but it works like that every time, and it happened to me quite a few times the last few days.

My AirPod Pro though seem ok sound wise and at keeping a connection to the M1, but they have not been able to connect automatically to the M1, but just my phone. On the Mac I explicitly have to select them in the Sound output list. And thinking of it, I had to also go to the Bluetooth window to verify it was visible in the list of devices. And then they worked. I'll try to reproduce and confirm that :)

Weird but very bad bug bringing the user experience score down to close to zero when using macOS...

Edit: I tried to reproduce the Airpod Pro scenario, the airpods would not this time even connect automatically with just the bluetooth window opening, I had to specifically click Connect. Less weird but still a bug, though less disruptive because I don't use Siri at all. :D

I'm using an M1 MBP, connected to MX Anywhere 2S mouse and a keychron bluetooth keyboard. The update to 12.3.1 did not help at all, it's extremely stuttering and buggy that I can't even do a simple task on my mac. Connecting to my airpod pro is much harder, the mac shows that it's been connected but I can hardly hear the sound.

my bluetooth wont turn on after monterey Is anyone solved his problem of bluetooth turning on after monterey 12.3.1 or public beta 12.4? I updated to it but yet can’t turning on bluetooth of my core i5 macbook / anyone does have better solution? / I delete plist / rest smc and nvram / reset bluetooth / reinstall mac old and new versions / clean install mac / try unsigned blufix kext / try pkill bluetoothd in terminal try bluetool by brew / force quit bluetoothd and… / but didn’t solve it and I cant turn on bluetooth and using my magic mouse 2

I have The same issue, the only one who can solve this issue is Apple. I don't think there are many options that we can do. so please Apple Fix this.

for me this problem started WITH updating to 12.3.1 on the M1 pro MBP 16" and logitech craft + mx3 master. every 10-20 seconds no bluetooth connection for a few seconds. nightmare.

Same problem. Bluetooth turns off automatically and gets in the way of productivity. I don't recall this to be in the list of updates.

I had another problem with Bluetooth after upgrading to Monterey. My headphone started beeping twice periodically when I am in meetings and disables its microphone. I did not have this problem with the same headset with BigSur. I tried another identical headset and it shows the same problem. So this is not the problem of the headset. Something changed on the MBP side.

I have a 2019 16" MBP, now I am running MacOS 12.3.1

• Same here with Sennheiser 4.50bt since Monterey 12.0. Headphone started beeping and microphone disconnects when im in a meeting on Chrome.

Add a Comment

Have the same Problem with my AirPods and my Bluetooth music box. There wasn't any problem before the Upgrade.