Updating old OpenGLES app - why isn't it fullscreen?

I am updating my old pre-notch OpenGLES app, and when it launches on my iPhone 13, it has black bars at the top and bottom. I was expecting it to fill the screen and go under the notch. Why is it not doing that?

When my app starts, I set my view bounds using [[UIScreen mainScreen] bounds], which is giving me dimensions of 375 x 667. The nativeBounds are supposedly 1125 x 2001.

But the iPhone 13 is 1170 x 2532 pixels.

Why do I get these numbers, where in the app settings is this determined? I can't find anything in the .plist or anywhere else...

I've read about safe areas but my app is an old-school EAGLLayer app, no storyboard. I do have a navigationController - but I'm getting this smaller display area being reported before that is even created... I can't find any documentation online about this either. Anyone know?

Accepted Reply

What I had to do to solve this was create a Launch Screen storyboard and hook it up in my targets settings and specify it as the initial storyboard. That gave it whatever information it needed to know it was a full-screen app.

Replies

What I had to do to solve this was create a Launch Screen storyboard and hook it up in my targets settings and specify it as the initial storyboard. That gave it whatever information it needed to know it was a full-screen app.