Why is Apple Watch development still so terrible?

In all the years of developing for the Apple Watch, the process of trying to run my app on a physical watch or simulator through Xcode is still an absolute nightmare. I probably waste hours each day trying to get my app running. Either the watch doesn't show as paired in Xcode, or it's stuck setting the watch up for development, or it says it's running but Xcode just hangs, or it just doesn't show up in Xcode at all. I have to do so many combinations of restarting my watch, my iPhone, my Mac to try and get it working again. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I just give up for the day.

Once I get it running I may have 5 times the app will start properly before going back to not running. When trying to use the simulator the watch keeps coming unpaired with the iPhone and won't run. And it's not possible to use Xcode with an iPhone that has multiple Apple Watches paired to it, which is annoying because I can't have one dedicated watch for testing. I just don't understand after all these years Apple Watch development just keeps getting worse and worse. I'm almost ready to just drop my Watch app completely, it's just not worth the headache we go through trying to develop it.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of coderkid Down vote post of coderkid
1.6k views

Replies

Helloooo Apple, are you taking notice how ****** your product really is??? This issue has been going on for years now! Do you actually even care?

Can confirm this is still the case in Xcode 14.3. It's a bloody nightmare. I refuse to work fixed price on Apple Watch projects because it's impossible to guess how much time you lose with this. For a complete project it amounts to several DAYS lost in rebooting phones, watches, Xcode, computer etc. And that's without the nightmare that is your watch app connecting to your iPhone app without issues while the iPhone app in Xcode claims it can't connect to the watch app because it's not installed .... currently on day 2 of trying to get that fixed. It's INSANE.