WKWebView using Simulator: Error Code -1200 - An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made

In both situations below I'm successfully connected to WiFi. Using Safari and Chrome (I have a VPN on chrome) with my mac I can successfully connect to google, apple, and youtube.

When I use an actual device to connect to any website using WKWebView everything works fine.

But when I try to connect to any website (including google, apple, and youtube) using WKWebView and the simulator I get this error.

func webView(_ webView: WKWebView, didFailProvisionalNavigation navigation: WKNavigation!, withError error: Error) {

let code = error._code
    print(code) // prints 1200

print(error.localizedDescription)) // An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made
}

Why can I successfully connect using a real device but not the simulator? Btw this just started happening today. It never happened before and I didn't change any Xcode settings.

I found an answer that said in the simulator go to Settings > Developer > Allow HTTP Services and to toggle it on. It still doesn't work wether on or off.

I also tried this which works fine on a real device using WKWebView

<key>NSAppTransportSecurity</key>
  <dict>
      <key>NSAllowsArbitraryLoads</key>
      <true/>
  </dict>

But on the simulator using WKWebView the website still doesn't show and I get the error:

The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be "wwwgoogle.com" which could put your confidential information at risk.

• The bottom error is actually www.google.com. I didn't add the first dot after www because it wouldn't let me post it using the entire web address. It said "Please fix the following URL related errors ..."

Add a Comment

Replies

The answer that I thought worked didn't work.