File metadata changes when System Extension denies OPEN AUTH event.

When users tries to edit file on Local drive, my application denies that action in OPEN AUTH event. I do not see any change in file access time. But when users tries to edit file on Pen drive, my application denies that action in OPEN AUTH event. I do see change in access time. Why there is such a difference ?

The first thing I'd check is to see if the local drive is mounted with noatime set, and the pen drive doesn't have it set. It might have nothing to do with your system extension.

Above mentioned problem of timestamp change occurs when file system on pen drive is FAT-32. I tried changing file system on pen drive to APFS but same problem persists. @eskimo Do you have any input regarding above mentioned problem.

Do you have any input regarding above mentioned problem.

Personally I think the whole Unix access time concept is pretty pointless. However, if it’s important to you then, sure, go ahead and file a bug about this. I don’t see any obvious way that this could be your ES client’s fault, and you’ve already ruled out the most obvious issue, namely a difference in the file system type.

If you do file a bug, please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

File metadata changes when System Extension denies OPEN AUTH event.

Q