Xcode 13.2 update is stuck

I am trying to update XCode to 13.2 on Monterey. It's stuck at "Installing 7.49GB of 7.49GB" (been for a while...). I tried rebooting the mac and and the install is still stuck.

Reported issue on Feedback assistant (number FB9808696).

What can I do?

Previous version of XCode still runs ok.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of randomdev Down vote post of randomdev
94k views
  • Check this out: https://github.com/RobotsAndPencils/xcodes

Downloaded and installed in 1 hr! On an M1 Mac Mini ;-)

Doh! and just now 13.2.1

• I saw a hint that since xcode has a huge number of files that an active virus checker can seriously impede performance. After several failues to complete I 'paused' clamav's sentry function until the install completed. Honestly, I don't that was what did it or my constant attention over a long time.

• This still happens on ventura with Xcode 14.2 it is a very annoying bug that apple.. never fix.

Add a Comment

Replies

I have the same issue as well. Brand new MacBook Pro:

Will someone from Apple answer here?! Am I to throw this $3.5k laptop in the trash?

• It auto resolved for me after 7+ hours waiting.

Add a Comment

Same issue here aswell. Brand new Macbook Pro 2021 M1 Max. It downloaded, and after that the loading is just stuck spinning.

A billionaire company with an extremely worst app ever. 2 days for download & install 12.58 GB and never ending.

Same here, MBP M1 2020, macOS 12.2 (21D49), struggling with this problem for the entire day, Mac had panicked three times (!) on the way likely due to high pressure on the file system (I was actively using the Mac). I see progress in Console:

8:23PM

ASDAppQuery.resultsDidChange 497799835: <NSProgress: 0x600003712b20> : Parent: 0x0 (portion: 0) / Fraction completed: 0.8030 / Completed: 803 of 1000

8:33PM

ASDAppQuery.resultsDidChange 497799835: <NSProgress: 0x600003712b20> : Parent: 0x0 (portion: 0) / Fraction completed: 0.8310 / Completed: 831 of 1000

So, 10 fractions in 10 minutes. Probably, better leave the Mac be until it finishes this process.

• UPD: completed at 9:48PM, total time is almost two hours, the last fraction had taken nearly 20 mins to install. The worst software update experience EVER in my life..

9:30PM ASDAppQuery.resultsDidChange 497799835: <NSProgress: 0x600003709b80> : Parent: 0x0 (portion: 0) / Fraction completed: 0.9990 / Completed: 999 of 1000

9:48PM ASDAppQuery.resultsDidChange 497799835: <NSProgress: 0x600003709b80> : Parent: 0x0 (portion: 0) / Fraction completed: 1.0000 / Completed: 1000 of 1000

Add a Comment

I had the same problem that Xcode got stuck on the installation after trying to download it via the App Store. I solved it like this:

1. Open Activity Monitor, search for appstoreagent and stop/quit the process (by selecting it and clicking the symbol with the X in the windows top bar)
  2. The Xcode Icon in the Launchpad should have changed now from Installation to Waiting.
  3. Long press the Xcode Icon and press the X to delete it. Nothing will actually happen so I am not fully sure if this step is actually needed, but just to be sure I wanted to mention it.
  4. Restart your MacBook.
  5. Xcode should not be shown anymore in the Launchpad.
  6. Download the needed Xcode version here
  7. Extract the zip and move it into your application folder. Replace the existing Xcode if needed.

Hope this helps!

• I am shocked... I was looking into the Launch Pad, I was long clicking on the Xcode icon when suddenly App Store woke up and made one Jump signalling that the installation was complete. It now says 'open' instead of that spinning circle.

I do think it actually must have completed in that exact instant, but I am mentioning it here in case it has any relevance.

If you struggle with this, please try to long press on the icon in Launch Pad to see if that completes the last step of the installation.

• I had the exact same experience as RoyGal is mentioning.

• This works for me, thanks for sharing. the only difference from your steps is that I did not reboot my laptop.

Add a Comment

I was having the same problem. I uninstalled the current Xcode, reinstalled again and I got the same result.

This time I decided to let the installation run all night and I went to sleep. Next day, installation was completed.

My App Store update to Xcode 13.3 was appearing to be stuck today until I noticed that XclamXAV was also very busy. Install completed once I disabled background anti-virus processes. This is obvious to 99+% of you, and I should have known myself, but it is easy forget sometimes.

The same thing is happening to me on a fast iMac with lots of RAM for Xcode 13.3.

It's just slow. It took well over an hour, but it did finally finish.

Jesus christ

I've had the same issue in macOS Monterey version 12.3 running on MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020), tried several tricks none worked except one random click on the app inside the Launchpad, it triggered something and suddenly the installing process woke up and notified me that the installation is successful finally.

Restarting my Mac did not help. Here is what I did:

• Killed the App Store process in Activity Monitor
  • Long pressed Xcode and clicked X - It didn't delete Xcode, just stopped the update.
  • Restarted my Mac
  • Opened App Store, and clicked "Update"

It downloaded Xcode all over again, and started the installation again. The installation took maybe 15 minutes after downloading. I monitored progress by hovering the cursor over the rotating status circle in the App Store page - this showed a small bubble with the progress as a %age. Eventually it finished installing and the button changed to "Open".

This is how the progress bar should look:

I got this after I got the circle of dead ring a couple of times, rebooting, etc.

But it is still very slow/stuck. Checking the Console (filtering on app store) shows lots of connection issues/retries. Mostly things like ""The connection to ACDAccountStore was invalidated." I killed the "installd" process using Activity Monitor. And downloaded manually, which was way, waaaaaay faster:

Edit: oh, btw, this is on a M1 mini with 16 GB RAM

Had the same issue on M1 Mac Air. Xcode stuck and even restart did no help.

And the way it was resolved was by opening the "Activity Monitor" app and under CPU, when I sort by most used process, "installd" was the one I stop/kill and after that, the xcode app restart the download and completed successfully.

• "And the way it was resolved was by opening the "Activity Monitor" app and under CPU, when I sort by most used process, "installd" was the one I stop/kill and after that, the xcode app restart the download and completed successfully."

This worked for me... thanks!

• Worked for me as well, thanks!

Add a Comment

xcode 13.3.1 same issue on m1 mini. The download was quick but install phase just spins. Had similar issue with last update too previous to this. nothing helps, no reboot nothing, not even app store process killing and cache flushing. the success is just happening random it seems. Assist with this would help a ton !

Updating Xcode has been really bad already few updates now. This update is simply worse. Our pretty new macmini has been updating xcode for like 1h now and stuck in te 12.58GB step that whole time.