iOS app crashing immediately when trying to run it natively on apple silicon Mac

App never reaches the AppDelegate didFinishingLaunching method.

Is there some sort of build setting that I need to set to make an iOS app run on M1?

Replies

If you create a new project from one of the built-in templates, do you see the same problem?

Here’s what I just did:

1. Using Xcode 13.0 on macOS 11.6 (gosh, I need to run some updates!), I created a new project from the iOS > App template.

2. I configure the signing to use a Personal Team.

3. I set the deployment target to iOS 14.0 (because an iOS 15 deployment target requires macOS 12, and I’m running macOS 11).

4. I selected My Mac (Designed for iPad) in the run destination popup.

5. I choose Product > Run and it ran just fine.

Now, it’s possible that this problem is related to your configuration, or it’s possible that it’s tied to your main project. If you repeat the above test, or as close as possible to it, that may tell us which possibility is most likely.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• In a brand new project it works fine. Which is why I suspect something is wrong with our build config. I am just not sure where to begin because the app does not even reach the app delegate.

Add a Comment

In a brand new project it works fine.

OK. That’s actually good news because it vastly narrows the scope of the problem (-:

If you choose Debug > Detach the process should crash and generate a crash report. Please post that here.

For hints on how to do that, see Posting a Crash Report.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"