iOS 15 app stuck at LaunchScreen

So I have noticed, and been getting reports from users, that since iOS 15 dropped my app seems to get stuck at the LaunchScreen. This only appears to happen when the app has been in the BG for an unknown amount of time and the user tries to FG the app.

When it happens the user will see the LaunchScreen image and be stuck there. If the app is force closed and then reopened it operates normally.

I have managed to replicate it once, by fluke, while attached to XCode. The console logs at that point seem to suggest the app is running normally, but can only see the LaunchScreen image.

Has anyone else had this issue? I can't seem to find anything after looking around.

It may be worth noting that I have never seen the app use the LaunchScreen when going BG to FG prior to iOS 15.

• Have you set the scene management and defined the Scene Manifest in info.plist ?

• I guess I should mention minimum supported iOS is 12 and no SwiftUI is being used, only UIKit.

Also made use of LaunchScreen.storyboard for the launch image.. as well as no storyboards.

Add a Comment

Replies

I have managed to replicate it once, by fluke, while attached to XCode.

That’s unlikely to be helpful. Xcode perturbs the runtime environment of your app enough that you can have no confidence that the cause of the event you safe was the same as the cause of the events being seen by your users.

The best way to make progress here is to ask your users to capture a sysdiagnose log while the app is stuck.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• I can try to get a the log from a phone that experiences it but I'm not hopeful. We were getting a number of reports from our users that this issue has been happening. The only way I'm going to get a sysdiagnose log will be if it happens on one of my test phones or to an internal test users. By the time our users report it to us (via in app feedback or app store feedback) it's too late. By the time the users experience the issue they have already force closed and restarted the application and it works fine.

For what it's worth when it happened while connected to Xcode the console seemed to indicate the app was going through everything like normal but the LaunchScreen storyboard was overlayed on top of everything.

The search continues

Add a Comment