Diskmanagement.disenter error 49218

Hello everyone,

I'm having a little issue with mounting my external hard drive lately. I've tried quite a few methods in hope of getting it to work again, but so far, no luck. I hope someone can help me solve this issue, or those who have the same problem may also share your insights.

My external hard drive was working fine about a week ago. But one day, I ejected the hard drive and the icon disappeared, so I thought it was safe to unplug it. When I did, it said the hard drive was not properly removed. It still works fine when I use it the next day, but the same thing happened. It said the drive was not properly removed after I ejected the drive, waited for the icon to disappear, and then unplugged the drive. After that, it never works again, and the attached images are the info I got when I tried to mount or run first aid on this drive.

Please help & thank you in advance!

Computer: 27" iMac - MacOS Monterey

External Hard Drive: WD_Black 4TB. APFS encrypted

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of QS49218 Down vote post of QS49218
60k views
  • I have the same problem. External SSD drive for Timemachine, APFS formatted. Creating the initial backup worked, then was running for some time and all of a sudden it can't be mounted anymore. Might be that it occurred after a reboot, I usually never reboot my Mac.

The same external drive was working before Monterey smoothly for over a year. After the update the Timemachine backup could not be finished because of some strange file conflict. Whatever, I reformatted everything and started from scratch and now I am in this new situation.

I think there is a sever bug somewhere in Monterey.

• Same problem. External SSD for Time Machine, APFS formatted. Lost access with Monterey and can't get it back.

I did find this:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/680500?answerId=676624022#676624022

Not formatted in ExFAT (APFS), but after entering command was prompted for password but had no ability to enter ($ sign was pre-entered.)

• Same problem. Thanks a lot Mac Monterey. Now I can not access my files.

Replies

in my case

1. Macbook with Catalina 10.15.6 mount the (49218) SANDISK 4tb without problems, from here you can transfer the files to another disk.
  2. Ipad Pro Gen 4 mount the Disk
  • Additional Info: After copying with Carbon Copy Cloner from the 49218 Sandisk to new one and try repair on Catalina it mounts again in Ventura. good luck

Add a Comment

I am using a translator.

Same problem. MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2019 macOS Ventura 13.2 External HDD 2TB, APFS formatted. I don’t have an iPad.

Show All Devices in View of Disk Utility menu. Right-click the container disk of the HDD that could not be mounted. I was able to rescue the data by creating an image from ”Container disk”. This method requires another HDD or SSD

• Same problem with my Macbookair M2. I can no longer access the larger partition of my 4Tb WD Elements external HDD :-(

Add a Comment

**MacOS ventura 13.3.1 has fixed it!! I am very happy! **

• I have 13.3.1 installed and still have the problem. My M2 Mac has made the 4Tb WD Elements external HDD an APFS case sensitive volume. I tried sudo fsck_apfs -n /dev/disk7s3 and got ** Checking the container superblock. Checking the checkpoint with transaction ID 11261. ** Checking the EFI jumpstart record. ** Checking the space manager.

• then error: (oid Ox2e72c) cib: invalid o_oid (oxffffffffffffffff) error: (oid 0x272c) cib: invalid o_xid (Oxffffffffffffffff) error: (oid 0x2e72c) cib: invalid o_type (Oxffffffff, expected 0×40000007) error: (oid 0x272c) cib: invalid o_type (Oxffffffff, expected 0×40000007) error: (oid 0x272c) cib: invalid o_type (Oxffffffff, expected 0×40000007) error: failed to read spaceman cib 12 at address 0x272c Space manager is invalid. ** The container /dev/disk73 could not be verified completely.

• Can I fix this somehow with Terminal? thanks in advance

Add a Comment

I have the same problem. For mine I noticed if I wake the computer before the ssd wakes up I get the error. If I bump the mouse before opening my laptop it wakes up the ssd and then I open my Mac. I forgot to do that this afternoon though, and I forgot how I fixed it last time. Does anyone have a solution for this? I need to access documents on this drive for a class and I cannot for a simple silly reason. Th ssd never unmounted it just went to sleep with the computer. So frustrating.

• Someone else said an iPad works in recognizing/accessing data from the ext drive, if you can plug it into that, but I don't have an iPad, so I can not confirm. I had to take my ext drive in for recovery, which I could not really afford to do at the time. I hope an Apple fix is manifested soon. I believe Apple will come through. They generally do in time. Good luck with your immediate issue.

Add a Comment

I used these steps to erase the drive and restore it to "factory":

1. menu: View / All Devices
  2. select the parent of the damaged volume (in my case, "WDC WDS5 somelongserialnumber Media")
  3. Erase

Note that this absolutely will wipe the contents of the drive. Not a big deal for me, it's just a Time Machine. If you need to recover your data, you'll probably need a tool like Disk Drill

What you're seeing in that tree is a representation of first, the physical media (you'll see the topmost says Apple SSD Media), then an APFS Container (an abstraction that lets the file system do some neat tricks with drive partitions), and then your actual partition. What I believe is happening is that the container was somehow damaged, so erasing the partition doesn't help, you have to go all the way to the physical media and wipe everything.

If you do want to recover some data, I would suggest…

1. menu / View All Devices
  2. run First Aid on the container, and if that fails, the physical media.

Hi everyone! I found a way that helped me solve this problem, I'm happy and want to share with you. First you need to go to the Terminal and enter the command diskutil list. Then find the hard drive you want to be repaired. It will be something like /dev/disk5. You need to remember this name. After that, restart the Mac and start it in recovery mode using the Cmd + R. then go to the Window - Terminal. Enter following command /sbin/fsck_apfs -fy /dev/disk5. Where instead of apfs you need to write the name of your file system and instead of /dev/disk5 the name of your hard drive. Then the restoration of your file system and the elimination of errors will start. In all cases, write yes to eliminate errors. All! restart your mac and you're done. This helped me to access the disk without data loss. I hope this will be helpful to you.

Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone’s ever dealt with a hard disk not mounting with Diskmanagement.disenter error 49218 ?

I’m running a 112TB Symply SPARK (an 8-bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID system with RAID 5 configuration, formatted APFS to 98TB), and since updating macOS from 13.5.1 to 13.5.2, the disk no longer mounts and first aid can’t repair it.

I’m on a 16” MacBook Pro M2 Max. I’m desperate to rescue/recover the data on the unit, any thoughts? Thanks all 🙏

Please Apple - how is this still a massive problem for BigSur users? It is clearly a problem with the APFS driver implementation that has been fixed in later versions. Drives with this error mount perfectly well with all content visible on a Ventura Mac, they only fail on the Big Sur Mac - please fix this problem you caused by forcing the use of APFS for backups onto external disks.

Just upgraded to Sonoma.. and No ... the Time Machine disk is not mounting nor repairable from disk utility.. again.. I actually bought a new disk after my upgrade to osx 13 I think.. because of the same issue.. And as I read here it is not a new issue. It is a pity apple is not able to fix this problem. This bug/issue is a huge waist of time and money. How to get all my old backups back and have my disks run again? they just do not show up and/or mount/repair. I tried most of the suggestions mentioned here above. Perhaps I let a windows machine repair the disk.. hahahahaha .. and when that doesn't work erase.. when that works.. (?)

Same here on 13.5.2, but not only APFS, also MacOS Extended and ExFat (6 disks corrupted in the past year). All these disks where formatted with the MacOS disk utility. I suspect the bug is somewhere in the software dealing with the USB(-C) connections as only 1 of the instances involved me accidentally removing the disk before ejecting. Suggested solutions in previous posts for repairing the disks with Disk Utility or via command line in Terminal or via re-boot, all did not work.

Now only using APFS for Time Machine. Gradually moving all other disks (many) to ExFat. While MacOS is not able to repair the disk, I can fix the ExFat disk in a few minutes on Windows.

The MacOS Extended disk I could mount read-only and copy its data to a new disk, albeit very slow (5 days for 4.5 Tb). With ExFat was I able to mount the disk read-only on MacOS with WD software in two instances. In another instance I could not even mount it read only, but I can still access the disk on Windows ... The only disadvantage of ExFat is that is uses 20% more space (I found out when copying 4.5Tb from a %Tb OS Extended disk to a new 5Tb ExFAT disk, it was full at 4Tb from the original disk). Ever since my first APFS Time Machine disk became unusable a year ago (not broken, reformatted and still using it), I have two Time Machine back-up disks. And fortunately I started years ago to make 2 back-ups of all my data that does not reside on the computer or in the cloud. Apart from this being a lot of extra work, I even don't feel safe with double back-ups anymore when external drives are being destroyed on my MacBook (2020) so often. Had not used my simple Windows computer, that came for 10% of the price of my MacBook, for many years and now it's my data saving machine for broken ExFat drives ...

funny little trick,, if you have an iPad that can connect to your "dead" drive, you might be able to access all the data that way. it has always worked for me, just no way to eject it (apple???????) so I suggest turning of the iPad, then removing the drive. im using iPad Pro, but I guess any usb iPad should work.

• Funny little trick doesn't work with an iPad with lightning port as I've just tried it out. If I ever get my hands on an iPad with USB c port I'll report if I can reproduce makafarai's result

• Incidentally i bought an iPad 10th Gen with an USB C port. It seems that USB provides enough juice to power the USB C drive. BUT: where do the files on the corrupted drive become visible on the iPad???

• Cool! I can read files on iPad Pro.

Add a Comment

After trying everything I found here, I re-formated the drive and it now comes up but I lost everything one the drive.

• My "last hope" is connecting the corrupted drive to a linux machine and try out what was suggestd. Until then I'm not reformatting the drive.

Add a Comment

Just crashed another external USB with APFS, same error message. Unrepairable. APFS is a nightmare. Formatted the disc now with Mac OS Extended. Hope this helps in future cases.

• Has Mac OS Extended worked for you? This is so frustrating that this has been a problem for over 2 years. APPLE-- Time Machine is worthless if the backup drives won't work.

Add a Comment

i have the same problem with mac os x 14.2.1 . I've a 10TB WD external drive and using from terminal sudo /sbin/fsck_apfs -Fy /dev/disk4s1 i had the error

error: Device does not contain a valid APFS container. Container superblock is invalid. ** The container /dev/disk4s1 could not be verified completely.

• Welcome to the club of a problem that nobody at Apple or any 3d party seems to bother to find any other solution than formatting the disc. My external USB discs got damaged when I attached too many of them (actually 3) to an USB hub. Which seemingly produces a power spike that the system reacted to with throwing out a disk without unmounting it properly. Which is a particular bad thing with USB discs that are formatted with APFS, as we had to find out.

• My lessons learned:

Format mobile discs with Mac OS extended instead.Backup continuously on a different drive (also formatted with Mac OS extended). I'm happy with ChronoSync, btw.Run 2 mobile discs at most on the USB hub. Before I add any other device to the hub, an USB stick for instance, I unmount the backup disc. Just to be safe.

Hope this helps.

Add a Comment

For anyone else who's stuck with their APFS formatted drive unmountable after a power failure, there are a couple of options that worked for me that might work for you. The ones that didn't work for me but are solid first options were:

1. Using fsck (in my case fsck_apfs) in the Terminal, or the First Aid option in Disk Utility (they are basically the same thing according to the output). This gave me the error:
** Checking the container superblock.
   Checking the checkpoint with transaction ID 123038.
** Checking the space manager.
warning: (oid 0x6e98) cib: invalid o_cksum (0x0)
error: (oid 0x6e98) cib: found zeroed-out block
error: failed to read spaceman cib 1 at address 0x6e98
   Space manager is invalid.
** The container /dev/disk6 could not be verified completely.
  1. Attaching the drive to my iPad. Nothing showed.

2. Attaching the drive to a Mac on Catalina or prior. I plugged the WD My Passport in an old Catalina laptop. It showed up in diskutil list with an error much the same as my newer Mac

3. Upgrade. I went from Monterey to Sonoma. The error messages were more opaque without the 49218 error code: "The disk <REDACTED> could not be unlocked. A problem was detected with the disk, which prevents it from being unlocked."

Two things did work for me:

1. Attaching to a PC and using Paragon's APFS for Windows driver free trial. I was able to see all the files and use the driver in read only mode. They really need to make an "APFS for Mac"—no joke!

1. There was a "APFS Retrofit Kit" Sierra/El Capitan/Yosemite that is no longer available, but you might be able to track that down if you have a super old laptop.
  2. Compiling fsapfstools from source and installing MacFuse as a kernel extension:

1. Install MacFuse
    2. Shut down your Mac, power on, hold down the power button, and enable kernel extensions locally (remote is not needed) using these instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mchl768f7291/mac
    3. Follow these instructions: https://github.com/libyal/libfsapfs/wiki/Building
      1. n.b., I specifically needed to add the following to /usr/local/share/config.site so that the build process would respect the headers from the MacPorts OpenSSL before running ./configure.
        CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
        LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib

4. Ensure to run the make install step, so that the tools are in your path
    5. Use diskutil list to discover the disk that is the container, and the one that is the actual APFS volume
      1. In my case there was both a physical disk as the container, and a synthesized disk with the volume
    6. Start a sudo session by using something like sudo bash or sudo zsh depending on your shell of choice
    7. Use hdiutil unmount /dev/<CONTAINER DISK> to unmount the container disk from above
    8. Use hdiutil eject /dev/<CONTAINER DISK> to eject the container disk
    9. MacFuse needs a volume icon, so I copied the one from my main drive with cp /Volumes/<BOOT VOLUME>/.VolumeIcon.icns .. In my case, the 'boot volume' was Macintosh HD, but you can copy a valid .icns file from anywhere
    10. Do mkdir mountpoint
    11. Do fsapfsmount -p <PASSWORD> -X volicon="<PATH TO VOLUME ICON>" -X allow_other /dev/<VOLUME DISK> mountpoint
      1. -p <PASSWORD>: add this if you have an encrypted volume. Put a space (" ") before the command so that it isn't recorded in your shell history!
      2. -X volicon="<PATH TO VOLUME ICON>": option so that MacFuse won't complain it doesn't have an icon for the volume
      3. -X allow_other: this will allow the MacFuse volume to be visible in Finder, but also to all non-root users
      4. /dev/<VOLUME DISK>: this is the volume disk that holds your actual partition, not the container
      5. mountpoint: this is the folder you made earlier and where all the files will be visible
    12. If everything went well, you can now copy your files to another volume, and marvel at how this open source software... just works 🤔
    13. After this is done, make sure you've exited the folder in terminal/finder, finished copying, etc. and use umount mountpoint to unmount the volume
    14. Finally, I would also uninstall MacFuse, return to the security settings and turn off those Kernel Extensions

This seems to be a failure common to APFS. SSDs (and HDDs) have capacitors that allow them enough time to flush the contents of their cache to disk on a hard power down. But it would seem there's some bugs in APFS that allow it's file database to enter an invalid state regardless. 3rd party APFS implementations seem to be robust to the little problems that MacOS baulk at, so if Apple can't write their file system defensively enough to avoid corruption, they ought to make it more resilient to corruption.

I've wasted a whole day on this, so I hope it helps someone.

(Mods: Sorry for the double post. I had no way to edit my post. Please delete the last one)