Bonjour stopped responding in iOS15

My company's app uses the following code to look for services advertised by a Garmin VIRB 360 camera (now discontinued and unsupported).

In the past this code has worked fine. However, on my iPhone 12 Pro Max running iOS 15.0.2 it returns no services.

let serviceBrowser = NetServiceBrowser()
serviceBrowser.searchForServices(ofType: "_garmin-virb._tcp.", inDomain: "local.")

Did something change in iOS 15? Do I need some entitlement? Is the format of the strings incorrect?

My recollection is that the strings are from Garmin document (but its years old).

Any help greatly appreciated!

• Possibly related - when I connect to the camera in Settings, after it connects I get a yellow "warning" below the network name saying "No Internet Connection". This does not happen on my iPhone 6s running iOS 14.2

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

So in the end it turned out that "Local Network" in Settings was off. But everything else the app does on the local network was operational (HTTP, etc). We were experimenting a while ago with techniques to try and detect if that setting was on or off (it does not appear there is any straightforward way to make that determination), and I must have left the toggle off. Sigh. But Quinn, thanks for the link above - it was very enlightening (even though we seem to have had everything defined properly).

Replies

Did something change in iOS 15?

Not that I’m aware of.

First things first, are you up to speed on Local Network Privacy FAQ?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

So in the end it turned out that "Local Network" in Settings was off. But everything else the app does on the local network was operational (HTTP, etc). We were experimenting a while ago with techniques to try and detect if that setting was on or off (it does not appear there is any straightforward way to make that determination), and I must have left the toggle off. Sigh. But Quinn, thanks for the link above - it was very enlightening (even though we seem to have had everything defined properly).