rvictl -s not working on Big Sur, iOS 15.1

Suddenly rvictl -s 0000... started to fail. The solutions proposed in this thread didn't help. Please advice. Due to the nature of the APP I worked on it I heavily depend on rvictl to work properly.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) Big Sur 11.6 (20G165) iPhone 12, iOS 15.1

Replies

Suddenly rvictl -s 0000... started to fail.

What are the symptoms of this failure?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

@eskimo

rvictl -s 000... returns Starting device 0000... [FAILED] and in the system log I see:

Oct  7 05:56:25 mb-C02XV5DLJGH6 rpmuxd[31644]: com.apple.rpmuxd:rpmuxd_start_kernelctl:234 Child process /sbin/kextload[31646] exited with status 29
Oct  7 05:56:25 mb-C02XV5DLJGH6 rpmuxd[31644]: com.apple.rpmuxd:rpmuxd_start_kernelctl:242 retry loading kext from non ROSP location
Oct  7 05:56:25 mb-C02XV5DLJGH6 rpmuxd[31644]: com.apple.rpmuxd:rpmuxd_start_kernelctl:234 Child process /sbin/kextload[31650] exited with status 2
Oct  7 05:56:25 mb-C02XV5DLJGH6 rpmuxd[31644]: com.apple.rpmuxd:rpmuxd_start_kernelctl:236 retry loading kext failed, aborting
Oct  7 05:56:25 mb-C02XV5DLJGH6 rpmuxd[31644]: com.apple.rpmuxd:rpmuxd_start_packet_capture:734 Unable to create kernel control communication

and rvictl -l returns Could not get list of devices

As someone else mentioned, could it be because of a faulty upgrade?

BTW, Xcode version is 13.0 (13A233)

Further up in the log I see this:

type: error
time: 2021-10-11 11:29:49.956558 +0100
process: kmutil
category: <Missing Description>
message: Remote encountered error: Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=29 "Authenticating extension failed: Kext com.apple.nke.rvi v2.1.0 in executable kext bundle com.apple.nke.rvi at /Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions/RemoteVirtualInterface.kext:
Authenticating extension failed: Bad code signature" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Authenticating extension failed: Kext com.apple.nke.rvi v2.1.0 in executable kext bundle com.apple.nke.rvi at /Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions/RemoteVirtualInterface.kext:
Authenticating extension failed: Bad code signature}

A quick check of the code signature suggests a problem with the way that the KEXT is built:

% codesign -v -vvv "/Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions/RemoteVirtualInterface.kext"
/Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions/RemoteVirtualInterface.kext: resource envelope is obsolete (custom omit rules)

Note If you’re curious what this means, it’s discussed in Technote 2206 macOS Code Signing In Depth.

I’m not sure what’s going on here but it definitely seems bugworthy. Please file a bug and post the number here, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

• Thanks @eskimo but the log I posted it doesn't include any of the code signing issues mentioned. Is that something it should show on my log as well?

Add a Comment

the log I posted it doesn't include any of the code signing issues

I suspect you were looking in the legacy system log (the /var/log/system.log file) while I was looking in the actual system log (as shown by the Console app and the log command-line tool).

Share and Enjoy

• Okay I see what you mean. I do see the same logs you mentioned. I opened up a bug: #FB9703966

• Ta!

Add a Comment