Hiding IAP's in certain countries to avoid anti-lootbox laws

Hi, as far as I found there's not a way of hiding In App Purchases in certain countries. Actually, Apple's Guidelines suggest that is not even allowed.

But not long ago countries like Belgium and Netherlands have taken legal actions against studios that offer this kind of In App Purchases so... Whats the solution?

Completely remove any type of loot boxing from our game? Remove the game from those countries App Store ? (I dont know if this is even possible, I guess it is) Find the location of the player programmatically and show/hide IAP's (not very reliable)

I'm surprised I couldn't find more debate about this since tons of games offer this kind of purchase.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

It is suggested your application have logic to determine which, if any, In App Purchases you want to merchandise to customers. Typically In-App Purchases are available to purchase in the same storefronts that your application is available. If you need to know the App Store storefront that the device is currently set to, you can use SKStorefront as another signal to our merchandising logic. https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/skstorefront

• Thanks a lot for your answer... ... but what if what we sell 'bills' or 'diamonds' through IAP and we want the player to purchase loot boxes with those without going through the In App Purchase? Should we ALWAYS use IAP for EVERY purchase to control whatever the user is able to acquire ?

Again, thanks for your help.

Add a Comment