Mission Control sometimes stops working

Sometimes, pressing the Mission Control button on the keyboard or clicking the Mission Control app icon the in the launchpad won’t open the Mission Control interface, while control+up arrow and clicking the Mission Control shortcut in the dock always works.

Hi, has anyone encountered the same issue? It's been bugging me for a while and I'm on the latest Monterey developer beta.

If you don't mind watching a screen recording of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvkHwGbbLVE

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of jkjk9801 Down vote post of jkjk9801
19k views
  • You mean F3 key or ctrl-up key ? When did you first notice the problem ? Never encountered the problem, on BigSur (not Monterrey). But on MBPro with touchBar, fn-F3 does not work, only control-up or Mission Control icon. Did you check your system Preferences (Mission Control section) ?

• ctrl-up works, f3 not I'm using an external keyboard. The problems occurs only in Monterey.

• By the way: This problem still persists as of December 2021 on Monterey. Never hat this issue with Big Sur. For me the problem is only occurring with my Logitech MX Master mouse and the thumb button linked to Mission Control. CTRL + UP as well as FN + F3 still work.

After waiting some minutes or starting some apps it starts working again.

Replies

hi all I managed to get it working (stable for a whole day! :) by adding the logioptions app in startup and always keeping it minimsed. I've also rempad the keys to mimic the keystroke and not the native logi options way...

I have the same issue here on Monterey 12.2.1

Had this as well... and the culprit was VirtualBox. Having a VM running seems to kill the MissionControl shortcuts.

Stopped the VM and poof, the shortcuts start working again.

I was facing the same issue on my logitech mouse. I've found a workaround through the logi options software. What you're going to want to do is assign a "keystroke assignment" to your desired button through the customisation feature on logi options. Assign the keystroke ctrl + up, which is what the mac keyboard uses for mission control. Works like a charm now!

From Terminal app run:

killall Dock

That will restart both Dock and Mission Control.

• That worked perfectly for me, thank you - it saved me from rebooting.

Add a Comment

Apple, any update on this? Over a year of restarting Dock... The same issue Monterey M1 + Logi MX2 and Big Sur Intel + Logi MX1

+1. Same issue, really frustrating. Running killall Dock sometimes works, but sometimes I have to reboot entirely.

Running macOS Monterey 12.5, MPB 14" 2021 with M1 max. If peripherals matter, I'm using an external monitor via USB-C to Display Port with the laptop open as a secondary monitor, and using a Kinesis Advantage 2 keyboard and an Anker wireless mouse.

Any devs out there, please let me know if you need any kind of debug info. I would love to see this fixed someday.

Mac Book Pro (16-inch, 2021) M1 Max running macOS Monterey.

I have the same issue. I click on mission control and choose F3 the key marked as mission control as either Mission control or Application windows. Nothing happens.

I even sent hot corners and nothing happens. When I click back to mission control it reverts to how it was before.

Hello everyone. I went from a MacBook Pro 2018 with Logitech K380 keyboard and MX Master 2S mouse where Mission Control worked perfectly to a Macbook Air M2 and as for you the problem presented itself that Mission control works randomly.I found an article about Universal Control introduced with the new version of macOS. I turned it off and it looks like Mission control is always working now.

I believe that bad Logitech software does not handle Universal Control correctly.

System Preferences -> Displays -> Universal Control

I found an additional solution to this issue. I am using a Macbook Air M1 with Logitech M720 mouse and Apple wired keyboard with external Apple monitor. I sometimes use the Macbook with mouse only. I have the mouse buttons set for shortcuts like "Desktop" and "Mission Control", etc. Like others, my mouse buttons would work and then stop working and I would have to revert to keyboard shortcuts instead of mouse buttons. The solution I found involves going into Settings>Security&Privacy>Privacy>Input Monitoring where you uncheck the "Logi Options Daemon". I am guessing you can uncheck "Logi Options+" as well, if you have it installed. I think this is what @Tom_CH_CH was getting at in his earlier post. See below. I also unchecked "Universal Control" as suggested by @Berts89. All is working now. Mouse buttons are golden.

Same problem here. Running Monterey 12.5.1 on a brand new MacBook Pro 14". Randomly, the 3 finger swipe up and F3 options both stop working when trying to invoke Mission Control. Terminal --> killall Dock seems to temporarily rectify the problem.

Still happening on macOS Monterey 12.6 as of September 14, 2022. MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), M1 Max. Incredibly frustrating that this is a well known issue and that it hasn't been fixed in any update for at least a year(?)

I am still encountering the same issue (MBP M1pro 2022, MacOS 12.6).

However, the "killall Dock" in Terminal solved the problem temporarily (and I do not have to restart). I hope this is a software issue. The new OS should give us insights soon, hopefully...

I echo what everyone else here is saying. This issue is persisting.

Logitec MX3 on a Mac Studio, running via the USB dongle.

Probably won't help all who have this issue but after having it, reading this thread and messing with logioptions, I realized that there were some apps that had different settings since the installation. This is the location of these individual per app settings. Hope it helps someone.